Clutch Cable Crimp Supplies?

brumster

Does anyone know a good place for crimp fittings, as found on clutch cables and so forth?

I've got an old clutch cable here that I'd like to shorten slightly on the inner cable so it will work better on the Zero. I basically just need to chop it shorter on the inner cable, then crimp a new end on it. I can send it to Speedy Cables, sure, but for the amount of money I've sent their way over the last 20 years I could have bought my own crimp tool and fittings, and do it myself, so I figure now is the time to invest.

The crimp tool isn't so bad, I can find those online, but it's the various ferrules and so forth. Ideally I'd crimp a yoke/clevis arrangement on the end instead of the eyelet that's on there now, but if needs must the eyelet works fine. Anyone know where I can get these crimp-on fittings? Most of the yoke/clevis stuff I can find is all for industrial cable applications (wire suspension, roping off/fencing, etc)... getting a bit sick and tired of Google now after about an hour :-)

post-901-0-78710400-1521552094_thumb.jpg

Edited by brumster

Shortened Florin's inner by turning a male/female sleeve (for the outer) to fit the bulkhead --- how much shorter required?

Great minds :) I've actually already done this on my existing cable, with a 3D-printed spacer, but coupled with the built-in spacer of the standard clutch cable it's sloppy looking and doesn't support itself well in the metal bracket outside of the pedal box. So my plan is to get this cable made up so that it's all nice and neat and tidy. No more spacers. As it stands I think I'd need a spacer about 60mm or so....

Speedy Cables have responded; £10 to shorten it. I might just do that for now. If anyone knows suppliers of the bits though, I still think it worthwhile investing in the crimp tool for it and adding it to my tool repertoire ;)

Yep, that was my biggest hit on google also. I spent a while scouring their catalogue but their clevis/yoke arrangements are all rather massive industrial applications :( that was when I gave up and asked on here! Cheers though ;).

edit: having said that, they do sell the "steel shank ball terminal" so I could shorten at the other end...

Edited by brumster

When shortened mine I cut a smooth section out of a bolt drilled through it and counter sunk one end, I slid this on and welded the counter sunk end to fix. The thinking behind counter sinking was it would need less heat to weld and stop the cable getting brittle, 10 years on still good.

• Like 1

Hi what about this

http://www.burtonpower.com/clutch-cable-ford-capri-mk1-1-3-1-6-8-72-qcc1005.html

more info https://view.publitas.com/burtonpower/2018-catalogue-pages/page/107

Has adjustment at other end

stephen

Edited by stevedohc2b

When I built my kit, I had to shorten the handbrake cable, I googled many ways, but in the end I brazed (silver soldered) it - and learnt a new skill. (Cut cable and drill out eyelet to take new cable end). Cable still good after more than eight years. If you can solder electrically then silver-soldering is similar but hotter (I used map gas and map blowtorch), so you will burn your fingers at some point.

-steve