Doner Car What Do I Need To Keep When I Scrap It?

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

I have stripped my doner car down now so it's ready to be taken away, what do I need to keep, v5 vin numbers etc for the age related plate and iva test? Also as a side note, my v5 has written on the bottom, registration non transferable. Does this make any dofference? Many thanks for you help guys- joe

Get some photos of the shell showing the VIN plate and a few that show where your donor parts have been removed so you can demonstrate that you stripped a single car in the unlikely event that you're asked to prove it.

I kept the reg plates off the donor and the rivetted on VIN plate.

To get an age related plate you need to the engine number to match what's shown on the V5, most other bits could have come from any similar car so their actual provenance isn't generally questioned.

Age related registration means your kit will get a plate of the same registration year as the donor, not the actual donor plate so the fact that it's marked as non transferable shouldn't matter. I take it your donor isn't currently on a Q plate? This might complicate things because Q plates can indicate that the age of the vechils cannot be determined.

Other main reason for non-transferable plates are on older vehicle (pre-1963), if you transfer an older style number off the vehicle, they'll put a replacement number on it of equivalent age and then put a non-transferable marker on it to stop people pulling old reg numbers out of the system and flogging them as cherished plates.

Guest Joe_burtenshaw

This helps so much! You are a lifeline on here, no it's not on a q plate so that's helpful, did they ask you for the vin plate at the registration point as the people who want to scrap my shell said they need that to be fitted as they can then prove where it has come from, they also need part of the v5, will this still be fine? Many thanks joe

I think (but not sure) that you do not want to "Scrap" the car but keep it on SORN until after your IVA. Disposing of the bits you don't need isn't a problem.

Correct,hang on to the donor V5. DVLA will sort that out when you register the kit. I'd just tell the scrap people that you need to keep it as part of registering your kit.

Edited by richyb66

Guest 2b cruising

If I were you, I would keep the v5 and register as sorn Some kits can be delayed in the build for many reasons. If your build,through unknown reasons were to take a couple of years or more to build, you would then still have the paperwork you need to re-register.

If the scrap people register the vehicle as scrapped, you might have difficulty at the IVA point.

Cut out the vin plate with the angry grinder and chassis number to,if possible Then just weigh the remaining vehicle parts in for scrap metal.

Above might not be All true but it is what I would do.

The donor vehicle must be officially on SORN registered to you.

The donor vehicle must not be officially scrapped.

You can weigh in the shell and or dispose of any bits you don't need but the vehicle must continue to exist on paper even if all you have is the paper and the bits fitted to your car, the vin plate for old times sake, etc.

Nigel

One suggestion I have is to give the donor one more check over for bits before it goes.

Keep as much of the wiring as possible including switches lamps dials etc, it will all help when working out the new wiring.

Also keep as many nuts, bolts, washers clean grommets etc they all help to reduce your ebay orders.

Even the old carpet is good for kneeling on, garage floors can be hard on the knees!

Cheers

Paul

Have the rules changed? The Sierra donor for Florin was scrapped ( self-certified) before Florin was finished, because I got done by DVLA for not re-sorning the vehicle. ( Hefty fine for not declaring off road in 2nd year of ownership AND an amount for back tax) Told them to whistle (politely) as car was either off-road & not sorned or on road without tax ---- couldn't be both.

Just sent DVLA a load of pics shown the shell parked in garden minus wheels/engine/doors.