Gearbox Choice, Type 9 Or Mt75?

MarkBzero

Gearbox choice  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

type 9 is smaller, but mt75 will take more power (200bhp+). Type 9 has a removable bellhousing so if you for some reason decided to change to a different engine you could buy a bellhousing. most mt75 gearboxes have integral bellhousings although i think there are some which are separate. MT75 is probably lighter as its ally unlike the cast steel of the type 9, but i am not 100% sure on that.

i like reverse being push down and up next to first on the type9. MT75 is more conventional with reverse opposite 5th.

Guest 2b cruising

MT 75.

Type 9 only really good with straight cut noisy gears. If you like noise.

Just to put a spanner in the works. Masada rd 5 or 6 speed. Another one good for 300 bhp. (alelegedly).

Guest Gargoil

Can't comment on the MT 75 but the type 9 feels like a manful gearbox. A little bit slow and ponderous, with a weighty feel if using a shorter gear lever. If the rest of your setup is old school, why not keep it all old school?

Having said that, a modern gearbox is easier and quicker in use with better parts availability.

I would base your choice on ratios. Type 9 with v6 cogs is good for 60mph+ in 2nd, rx8 box may be good for 300bhp but has really bad ratios its designed for a low torque high rev rotary. I looked at all the boxes and type 9 was the better bet with almost all parts still availble new. If you go type 9 i.d be happy to help you refurb it here...

Try the MT 75 first it is a good one why i kept it for 5+ years

Stephen

hi Stephen,

Confident the gearbox is a good one, I am paranoid car has been on the road for 2 years and I have replaced the gearbox 3 times all type 9 with no history. So i decided which ever gearbox i use i am going to get refurbished, I want to enjoy the car i have missed to many weekends this year.

Thought i might aswell upgrade the engine to ST170, which I was going to do over winter because the engine has to come out anyway.

I would base your choice on ratios. Type 9 with v6 cogs is good for 60mph+ in 2nd, rx8 box may be good for 300bhp but has really bad ratios its designed for a low torque high rev rotary. I looked at all the boxes and type 9 was the better bet with almost all parts still availble new. If you go type 9 i.d be happy to help you refurb it here...

Thank Dan,

Leaning towards MT75, but i have 2 knackered type 9's and they are becoming rare. How much to completely overhall?