Not Tractors Laptop, My Laptop

Longboarder

Acer Travelmate 4600 with XP on it. I use it for VCDS and Omex software. Was using it yesterday but had to update the VCDS (VAG group ecu fault finding software) to current version. All went well. Read the Polo TDI engine fault (Quantity Adjuster intermittent fault) and came in, copied the log and closed down. On restart it tries to boot win XP but fails with an error message following file is missing or corrupt

<WINDOWS ROOT>\system32\hal.dll

Tried booting off the XP install disc into therecovery console which it manages but it fails to then scan the hard disc when trying bootcfg /rebuild with the error message

missing or corrupt file.

I'm stuck. Nothing vital on the computer so I can do a re-install of XP. Just too lazy/busy.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Pretty please?

Nigel

if you need to get anything off the computer download a linux live disc. They are awesome and is the reason i ended up using linux. You can burn the entire operating system to a CD or USB and you can boot from there (assuming your BIOS allows this and you have enabled boot from CD/USB - normally F2 on startup to edit the bios).

You can then copy any files you want from the HDD (assuming your hdd isn't knackered) to a usb etc before the re-install XP (or linux ;) )

https://www.slax.org/is one i've used. But there are loads.

Whenever my Windows laptops have died (normally because of a virus) , I install Ubuntu until some bit of hardware goes and then it's new laptop time.

I've just had to do that with my 6 year old ex-Windows 7 laptop and I'm just trying to get the Emerald software working on it. It runs but I haven't tried actually connecting it to the ECU - hopefully, it will be OK.

Guest lotusPaul

My lap top that has my emerald maps crashed too...so I stripped it down to fix it, now I'm not stupid but I couldn't find the crank,con rods, pistons, any valve train what so ever. I narrowed it down to an electrical failure on the grounds there was no sign of fluid lose. Some one said it's a hard drive fault. Can't confirm this because I can't get to drive it, so no idea if it's hard or easy.

Any ideas??

My lap top that has my emerald maps crashed too...so I stripped it down to fix it, now I'm not stupid but I couldn't find the crank,con rods, pistons, any valve train what so ever. I narrowed it down to an electrical failure on the grounds there was no sign of fluid lose. Some one said it's a hard drive fault. Can't confirm this because I can't get to drive it, so no idea if it's hard or easy.

Any ideas??

You need to find the flux capacitor...