Folding/lifting Bonnet

Guest HS88

Guest HS88

I am wondering if anyone here has modified the standard stainless bonnet and made it such that it had a hinge along the center and can be opened from either side without having to be fully removed.

Or if anyone has reinforced the bonnet and added gas struts to allow it to lift up like a modern car bonnet?

Any photos/advice/instructions etc would be great.

Thanks!

For reference I have an RH S7 but I think the bonnets are all fairly similar..

post-3135-0-30184300-1338797148_thumb.jpgpost-3135-0-70198200-1338797212_thumb.jpg

A couple of pics of our Florin Silhouette -- the bonnet halves are joined together either side of a fixed spine running from scuttle to nose-cone using s/steel piano hinge. Bonnet is locked down using cap-head bolts down through return flange & into a home made trap nut fixed inside the chassis rail,the holes in the bonnet sides are (access to cap-heads)blanked-off with 20mm electrical grommets. Stays were made to hold bonnet sides in open position; all above give an "old school" look & is trouble free.

Cap-head bolts used as could not afford 4 aero catches at the time, these may look a lot better than my grommet fix.

Guest HS88

Thanks Florin. Looks like a nice installation there.

Did you have to strengthen the bonnet at all? The bonnet I have for the S7 is very flexible and needs picking up diagonally if only one person to stop it bending in half...