Edis 4 Wiring

Hi all,

Bit of advice needed if anyone can help please.... Just wiring everything up to the Edis 4 and Megajolt and have a couple of questions. Firstly am I doing it right, and secondly how the heck do you connect the cable shield?

Im following the below, and so far have the wires coming out of the edis unit with spade connectors on the end, connecting then to the crank sensor etc.. hopefully that sounds ok.....theory was to keep it fully removable.

The VR sensor, PIP and SAW I was planning on using a bit of the shielded wire and solder directly to the pin of the edis 4 (got one without oem connector) then to spade connectors and out to where it needs to go. However wiring the cable shield directly to the edis 4 is near on impossible as it is a big old wire??? can I trim it down or do I need to wire to a smaller gauge wire first??

edis4wiring.jpg

Guest tiggertom

hi just repaired broken wire on my edis wring. the edis plug comes apart by removing red colour slide at female end of plug and push pins backwards which makes soldering to pins easier, as for wiring i used same diagram,i think pin 11 is also rev counter output,hope so that's next job rev counter reading right

In fact looking at it, if I have my shielded cable do I connect one end of the shield to the edis4 (via a smaller guage wire) and also to an earth point on the chassis, so in effect have two wires coming off the shield.......and then do again at the other end?

You're kinda right. The way I did it which worked fine is i connected the shield cable to pins 7 & 9 and then i took a secondary cable from pin 9 to a good earth point.

Also just be aware of getting the correct connections onto the vr sensor. I followed that diagram along with the diagram sent by triggerwheels and I had one hell of a time figuring out why the car wouldn't start...as it was wired exactly as per diagram (both me and my mechanic buddy who had wired his mega jolt only days before triple checked this....then we thought my edis was faulty so tried another which we knew worked....still no joy...so we was about to give up and make some calls the following day when as a last ditched attempt late at night we swapped the vr wires around and it fired up first spin of the crank!!

I can only assume that my vr sensor was different to others as I've never heard any complaints about that wiring diagram being wrong....and plenty of people have done this wiring!!!

Guest old_timbo

The shield should only be earthed at one end. Otherwise you have a ground loop which will induce noise into the signal cable i.e. the opposite of what the shield is intended to do!

Old Timbos is spot on

If you look closely at the wiring diagram pin 7

one shield from VR just goes to 7

The shield wire from Megajolt goes to 7 & common earth 9, I just wired in a loop from 7 to 9

This is to stop the earth loop problem Old Timbos ill used to

Edited by Snapperpaul