Clutch Query

Guest Paul94

Guest Paul94

I have an MT75 gearbox and blacktop Zetec engine with the standard Ford clutch. The car has done 4000 miles since IVA

I took it to Emerald last week in Norfolk to get the ECU firmware updated and to get it mapped on their rolling road. During the latter part of the mapping I was told that the clutch was slipping. I hadn't felt it on the drive over there (170mls) and didn't experience anything under normal road driving conditions on the way back.

Since getting back I haven't driven again but I have checked that the clutch cable adjustment does not cause the clutch to be held engaged. In fact the cable has free movement to lift the pedal as far as the clutch release springs/fingers can move it.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Should the clutch wear to the extent of slipping in 4000 miles?

Grateful of your collective experience - Scotland trip only a few weeks away

A decent blacktop can cause even a new mondeo clutch to slip due to the fairly flat diaphragm spring angle. A common insurance policy is to drill the flywheel for a pinto plate and diaphragm(which has a better angle) and is good for a few more horses and with an uprated plate and diaphragm for easily 250bhp.

Nigel

Guest Paul94

Thanks for your words of wisdom

I drove 350 miles to Norfolk and back to visit Emerald's Rolling Road last week.

The Rolling Road session was very tough on the car - had my fingers crossed for some of the high rev runs, and the heat produced was terrific. But what a difference to drivability now it's mapped properly.

I didn't notice any great slipping problem on the way there or back. So I suspect it was simply the harsh environment and operating the car at the extremes.If I can get a pass out at the weekend I will join the GBS Run and give it another shake down before Scotland

My experience a few years back was that the clutch had to be brutalised for it to slip and for a couple of thousand miles it did not get worse. The pressure plate just wasn't strong enough to transmit the power. It probably would have lasted for several thousand miles more before the driven plate would have worn down. So you could save it as a job for next winter but if you do trackdays/sprints then do it sooner.

When funds allow buy in a 1.8 zetec flywheel and uprated pinto clutch assembly with pinto release bearing ready for the change. Last time I looked Retro-Ford did a good price.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder