Bike Carbs?

Thrashed

Hi all. I am thinking of going the bike carbs route on my pinto. I wanted to get peoples advise and experiences with which carbs are best? Honda, yamaha etc and if it is easy enough to modify at home to fit a gbs or bogg manifold and what it involved.

Thanks Steve

Guest scrabster

hi, just bolt em on and away you go..................................thats what you hear anyway.when i put carbs on mine i could not get the engine to run.but this was the first start up after building the car with different components on i.e piper cam,bestek ignition,blade carbs.finally tracked the problem down to the carbs.took them off and cleaned them 3 or 4 times, got two mechanics to have a look,yes its the carbs.back to gbs with them,who hadnt got another set so richard stripped them and cleaned them,still spluttering and spitting fuel out so took them back again and had the set of their yellow demo car,put them on and bingo ran like a dream.after 200 miles took the car to torque tune next to gbs for rolling road.he said the fueling was spot on but still drilled the jet from1.60mm to 1.65mm and we settled for that.now running with 119hp or 138hp at the flywheel.hth.

jess

hi, just bolt em on and away you go..................................thats what you hear anyway.when i put carbs on mine i could not get the engine to run.but this was the first start up after building the car with different components on i.e piper cam,bestek ignition,blade carbs.finally tracked the problem down to the carbs.took them off and cleaned them 3 or 4 times, got two mechanics to have a look,yes its the carbs.back to gbs with them,who hadnt got another set so richard stripped them and cleaned them,still spluttering and spitting fuel out so took them back again and had the set of their yellow demo car,put them on and bingo ran like a dream.after 200 miles took the car to torque tune next to gbs for rolling road.he said the fueling was spot on but still drilled the jet from1.60mm to 1.65mm and we settled for that.now running with 119hp or 138hp at the flywheel.hth.

jess

thanks Jess. Is it really that easy? I have read that you need to respace the carbs. Not sure what this means. Which carbs did you go for? And which manifold?

Thanks Steve

Guest scrabster

hi steve,i had the whole conversion from gbs when i picked my kit up.they are honda fireblade carbs and a steel manifold made by gbs.no need to respace the carbs which means taking them apart and making good the gaps between the carbs,linkages etc so each carb is directly infront of the air intake on each cylinder.much to complicated for me.the kit also comes with a cable(from bicycle)and inlet gasket. bogg brothers do an aluminium manifold if your bothered about weight.and a set up on rolling road is advisable.main jets are alredy drilled out by gbs.hth.

jess.

p.s, come along and have a look if you want(m6 j9).

hi steve,i had the whole conversion from gbs when i picked my kit up.they are honda fireblade carbs and a steel manifold made by gbs.no need to respace the carbs which means taking them apart and making good the gaps between the carbs,linkages etc so each carb is directly infront of the air intake on each cylinder.much to complicated for me.the kit also comes with a cable(from bicycle)and inlet gasket. bogg brothers do an aluminium manifold if your bothered about weight.and a set up on rolling road is advisable.main jets are alredy drilled out by gbs.hth.

jess.

p.s, come along and have a look if you want(m6 j9).

Thanks Jess. will take you up on that offer. Weekends are better for me. Let me know when you have a free hour. would love to have a look at your car and get some good ideas. Thanks Steve

Guest enginetorque
Thanks Jess. will take you up on that offer. Weekends are better for me. Let me know when you have a free hour. would love to have a look at your car and get some good ideas. Thanks Steve

I run Fireblade carbs on my Pinto - goes like a Cambodian with a meal ticket now :-)

hi

I could not believe how good and how different with bike carbs on so so smooth

The only issue I had was getting air to the carbs. I opted for the brand new ones, and to be honest if I had not the ‘air issue’ they would have been straight bolt on and go.

The fuelling, balance, tickover were all perfect,

I think I is a matter of patients with the second hand carbs – I only opted new because I don’t have much time on my hands

Paul

Be carfull Guys, i had terrible trouble with my GSXR 750 carbs, still do, they wrecked one engine in a matter of a few hundred miles by bore washing the engine and diluting the oil resulting in a scorred bore and damaged big ends.

Another kit car mate had his 2b rolling roaded and the road decided to stop the power run because the fuel leaned out at the top to dangerous levels, on the road he was not aware of the lean running problem.

There is no easy fix when putting on carbs of any sort, you must set them up or take the cosequences

Gbs manifold 900cc fireblade carbs etc dyno'd goes like poo off a stick revs clean all the way and loads of torque.. 1500miles this season without a hitch.....

Dan

looking good for bike carbs on my pinto. Do you know if you can use the cbr600 carbs? And do they just bolt on to gbs manifold with no alterations. Thanks to all for the advise do far

Guest trackerjack

I have Kwacker XR6 (38mm Keihlins) on my 2litre Pinto that are running a tad rich and giving about 23 mpg so while on the subject who can be trusted to set them up right? I live near Portsmouth.

I can only speak from experiance of the 900cc blade carbs but once set up by a pro they have been bang on ever sense ( torque tune in ollerton by GBS)

as for other carb set ups i don,t know, the key is the dyno work otherwise you are pissing in the wind in my opinion....

Dan

Guest trackerjack

Cheers Dan I will try to find someone closer!

However when driving it yesterday the carbs started to fall off !!!! The petrol resistant hose that I used has fractured causing a massive air leak and mega rough running.

What do most guys use? Does silicone hose work? I am using the hose to support the carbs, so should I support them and use the hose just for connection?

This is quite new to me as my Dolly Sprint has Dellorto 45,s although I did run it on bike carbs briefly.

Jon

Edited by trackerjack

Guest scrabster

hi,try and get the propper rubber hose and clips from the bike carbs as they have a groove to locate and seal them .i think if you buy them they are about £12 each. :o .

jess.