Unfinished Barn Find Project Super Spec 05

Guest motojohn

Guest motojohn

OnHglRDh.jpgB5x6AiIh.jpgT7urgD7h.jpg

i have two sets of engine mounts , not sure what they fit but we will find out soon ,

im going with a ford zetec 1800 cc engine with a mazda RX8 Gearbox using an adaptor ring only because the car was originality set up for the zetec engine ,and pintos and type 9 gear boxes are getting expensive .and i get 142 BHP instead of 109

Guest motojohn

looking under the car i noticed this very big bracket made to hold the hand brake cable , is this right as i was going to cut it back as it looks like it would be a IVA fail

9YkKNZvh.jpg

Edited by motojohn

That long L shaped bracket is correct for Superspecs. It holds the adjusters for the handbrake cables and also goes across the car to give a strong mounting points for the rear seat bolts.

Mine is exactly like that and has passed SVA and all subsequent MOTs without a comment. However it is low to the ground and often catches on garage ramps. Some people have mount the L the other way up so the upright is upwards.

I think the later 2bs and superspecs mounted the subframe differently. On my 2b the original mounts (big rubber mounts with a hole in the middle) were used to secure the subframe to the chassis onto flat metal plates on the chassis. A big bolt was put through the rubber mount and additional bolts put up through the metal behind the mount. The outer suspension arm bolt also picked up a mounting point.

Others can hopefully confirm that on the later versions the big rubber part can be cut off as the subframe just mounts with the outer suspension arm bolts.

It was always a bit of a bodge on the early 2bs as there was no need for the rubber part as the rear diff mounting was removed and the diff mounted solidly so there is no point having movement at the front. Some people removed the rubber part and welded up the hole. But by the sounds of it you won't even need to do that as you'll lose that entire part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest motojohn

well im back on the car after a long while ,also you cannot do anything with the lock down , i now have a ford zetec motor with a mazda rx8 gear box , still having a few problems but getting there slowly

A late reply to 15th August 2018

We built Florin using all the Sierra rear mounts, the rubber doughnuts were fitted as per Henry Ford ; so they still work as he intended. The diff rubber/ali mounting was inverted & fixed to the 2B chassis by welding in a 4 mm plate across the chassis tubes.  The thinking was -- Sierra + 4 people + luggage is probably more than twice the weight of Florin + 2 + luggage, so why make the rear end solid ?  The engine is still mounted on rubbers so all flex in drive train has to stop some-where in the prop-shaft.

Florin continues to be a comfortable touring car, 9 years & 53 K later,  no signs of failure in any part of the drive.