Front Cycle Wings

johnhetherington

Hi Seasons Greetings to one and all.

I am struggling with how to fit the 2B Plus cycle wing brackets. Mine is the type that has the brackets as part of the top wishbone ball joint housing. First question, does the long arm or the short arm point forward, also the angle of the ball joint into the housing is very sharp, is this right. From the picture can anyone confirm if this is correct. Thanks John

post-2376-1230484472_thumb.jpg

idea i had for fitting the grp on was to first rivet a piece of plate to the tube giving a larger target for the bolt,rather than catching the centre of the tube,also fitted a piece of rubber inbetween to aid vibration.

post-951-1230512361_thumb.jpg

Guest chris brown

As Jamey says it is hard to see from your photo but the dummy mac strut goes in so the taper for the top ball joint is nearest the wheel and angled so if you were to draw a line through it with the wishbone parallel to the ground it would end up about half way along the lower wishbone. I also recommend welding or riveting mounting plates onto the tubes.

post-2376-1230542798_thumb.jpg

hard to see your pic as is very small.

shortest goes to front

I did go a bit over the top with reducing the pic, hopefully this one is a bit clearer.

Thanks for the advice, are the 'arms' meant to be inner of the mounting or outer, I am still not happy with the angle of the ball joint but if I turn the mounting so the 'arms' are outer of the bracket the ball joint sits better but the 'arms' then they foul the tyre.

Not doing my best at explaining this am I.

Guest robinj66

Here's how I fittted mine. Once the arms were fitted I put on a splodge of sikaflex and let it set. I then added more and clamped the cycle wings to the arms. No one was more surprised than me that they stayed that way (even at high speed) and they show no sign of shifting.

As Jamey says it is hard to see from your photo but the dummy mac strut goes in so the taper for the top ball joint is nearest the wheel and angled so if you were to draw a line through it with the wishbone parallel to the ground it would end up about half way along the lower wishbone. I also recommend welding or riveting mounting plates onto the tubes.

Thanks Chris I'll give that a try

Hi,I have the same arrangement but with the wing support bar outside the top ball joint putting the short leg forwards.In your pic the bar seems straight but mine has a definite set in it to clear the tyres.

Apologies for highjacking the thread but I'm fitting my cycle wings at the moment too. I've got the brackets made up using the long bit of tube supplied with the kit - cut down to suit but question is the positioning of the wing relative to the tyre.

The wing is only 200mm wide, whereas the tyres are about 210mm (205/50 15). Obviously the wing won't entirely cover the tyre so I've aimed to get the outside of the wing level with the outside of the tyre in plan view (if that makes sense). The question is, is the acceptable for SVA given that I've got a portion of the inside of the tyre visible in plan view. Obviously because of the shape of the tyre, the exposed portion is mostly sidewall but as it's on the inside it's less likely to be contactable.

Guest chris brown

Some of the confusion here is because there is two different (well lots actually). The early ones fitted on the inner side of the dummy mac F and were separate to it and were this way as the early 2B was meant to have the Sierra wheels, the later ones were welded to the dummy mac F and went on the outside as in the photo. These were for the supplied wheels of later kits and would not fit with Sierra wheels.

post-746-1230583142_thumb.jpg

The cycle wing should cover the tyre tread and wheel rim, the tyre wall can bulge out beyond this but you are pushing your luck.

Edge trim will add a little either side.

The front lip of the wing should cover the wheel rim edge furthest forward, its the tread width, rim width and forward rim edge that count.

For the new IVA you may need some mud flaps on the rear edge to stop stones being thrown up

I am spending a sleepless night reading the draft IVA manual and have found this

This inspection is to ensure that all vehicles are fitted with adequate wheel

guards (parts of the bodywork, mudguards, etc) to protect other road users

as far as possible, against thrown up stones, mud, ice, snow and water

and to reduce for those users the dangers due to contact with the moving

wheels

In the case of unmodified Mass Produced vehicles the standards in

this section may be considered to be met unless evidence suggests

otherwise.

Using a suitable measuring device ensure that the wheel guards cover an

adequate area of the wheel/tyre as defined

Note 1: The rear part of the mudguard after the required 50° to where it

terminates does not have to cover the full breadth of the tyre

1. The vehicle must be fitted with wheel guards

2. The wheel guard must extend at least 30 degrees from the centre

of the wheel to the front ( figure 1 )

3. The wheel guard must extend at least 50 degrees from the centre

of the wheel to the rear ( figure 1 )

4. The wheel guard must cover the full breadth of the tyre throughout

the required dimensions ( figure 1 )

5. The rear of the wheel guard must not terminate above a horizontal

plane of 150mm above the wheel centre. See note 1 ( figure 1 )/quote]

Apologies for highjacking the thread but I'm fitting my cycle wings at the moment too. I've got the brackets made up using the long bit of tube supplied with the kit - cut down to suit but question is the positioning of the wing relative to the tyre.

The wing is only 200mm wide, whereas the tyres are about 210mm (205/50 15). Obviously the wing won't entirely cover the tyre so I've aimed to get the outside of the wing level with the outside of the tyre in plan view (if that makes sense). The question is, is the acceptable for SVA given that I've got a portion of the inside of the tyre visible in plan view. Obviously because of the shape of the tyre, the exposed portion is mostly sidewall but as it's on the inside it's less likely to be contactable.

HI, Okay when looking from above the wing must cover the wheel sides too, this was one of my fail points, get it as cetnral as possible, even if you offset it into the car they may fail it,

Must admit it did seem daft at time, and im the only one i know who had this problem,

i would centre it and see how much it sticks out with a plumb line on either side

HTH

Mitch