Warning Lights Wiring

Guest Monty2556

• 5 months later...

Hi

I have a 2B (I know long story due to family circumstances) it was built be me between 2003 and 2004. It has resided in my garage all this time. I retired recently and decided to get it IVA,d

I was very surprised at how little it failed on, all electric working just fine except the high beam warning light comes on faintly on dip, just enough for the examiner to notice, the warning light then works perfectly both on high beam and flash. I used the ‘bright six led’ group of warning lights and as said all the rest are working just fine.

Just wondered if Op’er or anyone else has found a quick fix for this, I suspect it is the Sierra column switches causing this as I have checked and rechecked wiring and relays etc.

Any help would be appreciated

Stuart

Hi OK where does the warning light take its feed from ?

If you suspect it's a problem with the stalks disconnect the feed to the warning light and tap into full beam feed (think it's white but need to check)

If warning light behaves you have answered your question if it dont then something is back feeding full beam but not enough to power the bulbs but can be enough to light an LED bulb

Let me know if you want more help

Edited by blue

Hi WGB and thanks for your reply.

The warning light is taken directly from the main beam feed. I have tried using a different warning light just in case it is a problem with the ‘bright six’ unit but to no avail. The light comes on faintly as soon as dipped heads are switched on. Given the previous posts above I thought it may be the column stalks feeding across from one another. Somehow power is getting through from dipped beam circuit to power the main beam warning light.

Cheers

Stuart

The main and dip circuits should be completely separate at the stalk end. Common problem that links the circuits is incorrect connections at the headlight end to the bulbs. So first step is to pull the connectors off both headlight bulbs and then switch on dip and main and see if you still get a glow from the main beam dash light. No glow? Then the switching is probably OK and the problem is probably the bulb plug wiring. Try connecting one head light and test. No glow. Disconnect that headlight and connect the other side and test. This could tell you which headlight has its wires swapped. Could be both.

The main/dip bulb is set up like the pic. Regardless of how you swap the wires round it will seem to work OK (till you drive at night!). However the central connection between the filaments is the earth and connects to the shell of the bulb base. The dip and main wires then each connect to their proper bulb centre contacts, which will then work independently, one filament at a time and not feed back to the warning light.

post-21-0-02586000-1537438357_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longboarder

Hi guys - checked wiring harness earth to chassis- all seems good. I have a full free day tomorrow so will go through the systemic approach that longboarder has suggested - fingers crossed

Many thanks all

Stuart

Hi- went through the process above as described by longboarder - both headlights disconnected and the warning light did not come on, dim or otherwise. Reconnected each head light in turn, warning light came dimly on both sides on dip. Checked beam pattern on garage wall and both headlights showing correct high/low pattern and increased light intensity on high beam.

Checked headlight sub harness back to main harness, I seemed to remember I had to extend the wiring on the n/s as the V/G loom came up short on that side, however, all seems well and correct, blue/white for main and red/blue for dip.

Checked power at each headlight and also fine, power both sides on dip, no power on h/beam and the same when checking the opposite. When disconnecting dip at the headlights the warning light acts as it should, ie fully extinguished on dip, on on m/beam and lights up ok when using the flash function.

I have the Sierra switches with the lighter wiring, so have fitted relays in both dip and high beam wiring, checked these out and all seems well, ie power feeds to terminals 30 and 86 on each and switch wires to 85 resulting to power lights from 87.

I then thought I would bypass the loom and use a fly lead to each head light directly from the relays, all working normally, both dip/high working as they should, but no warning light on the dash at all.

I had bought a spare warning light in case the one in the ‘bright six’ was faulty so I used this connected to the temporary fly leads - would you believe it came on dimly on dip just as the one in the dash did -

It is amazing that one little warning could cause so much bother

Any thoughts on this will be gratefully received

Thanks

Stuart

So you have confirmed the headlights are wired correctly and the loom is not faulty. There is no link from dip circuit to main beam warning light when the bulbs are removed from the circuit. I can only think that the backfeed is via the bulbs. Presumably you currently take feed to the warning light from the main beam wire after the relay. Are you using later BG87******** column switch and negative switching of relay. Can you rewire the warning light to be switched by the column to relay switching wire, rather than the post relay wire?

Yes using the later column switches. I am fairly sure the feed for the warning light is taken from where the Sierra switch wire joins the loom, but I can’t be certain and I don’t remember exactly how I have wired the relays into the circuit

OK dashboard out tomorrow (not a big job only four bolts) and will check this all out

Many thanks longboarder

Just realised I can check this out without taking out my dash, I have all fuses and relays wired through to the bulkhead, presumably I can test this out on the switching side of the relay ie terminal 85?

Stuart

Yes. Just see what the switching wire does when the main beam is switched on. It will probably go to earth if the switches have been wired as they were in the sierra. Then it's just a question of using that as the earth for the warning light and supplying the other side of the warning light with an ignition live supply.

You are the man longboarder, did as you suggested with my spare warning light- bingo! Working as it should. Tried a negative feed to the h/beam warning light, nothing, I assume that thr ‘bright six’ unit has a common earth as all the other warning lights work fine. I have wired up the spare and mounted on the dash, now all good.

Can’t tell how immensely grateful I am for you help with this, many thanks

Stuart