Fuel Gauge Works In Reverse

kevin the chicken

I have finally got around to sorting out my fuel gauge problems and after being unable to work out if the gauge was faulty or if it was the sender plumped for the sender because the fuel pick up pipe which ran through it was loose and leaking so it needed changing anyway.

The new one doesn't have a fuel pick up in it so I am going to use a redundant pipe which comes out of the bottom of the tank plus the new sender is smaller than the old one which means I have had to make up a new plate to go over the large hole to mount the sender in.

In short a couple of hours work has turned into a days and now nearing completion I checked the sender before fitting it in to the tank only to find it works in reverse! It is the correct revotec sender for the gauge so I am wondering if the gauge was wired the wrong way round to suit the old sender?

The gauge has three wires fitted to it, one of which is twinned so I am presuming that would be a looped power feed? The other two, one red one black ( earth?) vanish in to the loom.

Thoughts please gentlemen

Guest ali2992

Where did you order from? I ordered a telemetrix gauge sender and it arrived and it was labeled and everything,except the resistance was reverse what was required. Unfortunately by the time I realised this it had been about 6 months since I bought it so I had no hope of a claim or anything. So I just disassembled it, flipped the sender and modified the arm to suit. Its not perfect but easily adequate

Guest ali2992

Where did you order from? I ordered a telemetrix gauge sender and it arrived and it was labeled and everything,except the resistance was reverse what was required. Unfortunately by the time I realised this it had been about 6 months since I bought it so I had no hope of a claim or anything. So I just disassembled it, flipped the sender and modified the arm to suit. Its not perfect but easily adequate

I just had another look and that is exactly what has been done to the old one, the box has been turned the wrong way up, although the float is still the other way up. I think I will attempt the same although I will cut the stops off and make some new ones and reverse the float wire and then it should work exactly the same but the right way up. Thanks for that, it sometimes just takes another person to point me in the right direction. I can only assume that revotec changed the direction in recent years as my gauges are a few years old

Guest chrispine

Mine worked in reverse when I got the car, on the sender I had switched live, earth and signal, I swapped earth and signal and the gauge is now correct, sender is just a pot, same as tps.

Chris

I fitted the smith one compatible for my smiths telemetrix gauge and upon testing which luckily I did still on the bench had the same issue so also mentioned in a small diagram in the instructions for some models you need led to flip the device on the rod which then read correctly.

Fuel ohms

US 240 empty 33 full

Euro 10 empty 180 full

US GM 0 90

US Ford 0 73

Kit Car gauge has been reversed but show ¼ when empty and 3/4 when full so assume gauge is euro 10-180 and sender is now 33-240

Have reversed it and it worked fine out of the tank but only showing just over empty with half a tank of fuel in. Obviously needs a bit more tweaking. Got loads of other jobs which are more pressing but I won't be beaten so out it comes again first thing tomorrow. At least one that works in reverse is correct at one point.

Car Builder Solutions do a speedo healer.

I have one ready to fit which should address the final issue.

I reversed the sender by unsold wrong the wire on the reostat bar and re soldering to the other end, that corrected the reverse reading at the gauge but did not solve the ohm range mismatch

That sender was in and out like a fiddlers elbow today but I have now by judicious bending and rebending got it to read half full with four gallons of fuel in it. Hopefully it will read less with less fuel in and then I will be satisfied.

• Like 1