Cuts Out

Thrashed

Hi guys

The Zero is now on the road legally!! Passed the IVA and got my number plates.

Took it for its first test drive the other day inbetween rain storms.

To start with it sounded like a bit of a miss fire but the further i got the worse it got. I only did a 2 mile trip but by the time i got back an on the drive it just died. First though was i ran out of petrol as thats what it felt like. Left it for a few minutes and then restarted fine, drove into the garage and left it.

Been out today to check it over and not run out of fuel. started it up and it ran fine for about half an hour on tick over in the garage. then all of a sudden splutter, splutter and cuts out!! try to restart and no joy. The engine had run up to temp, fan was running for at least 10-15 minutes before cut out.

Went to the shops, came back about an hour later and started straight away???

The engine is a standard 2 litre pinto with ZX6R carbs. Facet fuel pump and sytec regulator set at 1.5.

What is wrong with it? I am sure it is temperature related, so is it plugs, dizzy or fuel?

Thanks

Steve

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still sound like fuel, do you have a tank breather, may be your causing a vacuum in the tank, release the filler cap after running the engine for a while. If there is a whoosh of air when you take the filler off you are getting negative pressure in the tank

Still sound like fuel, do you have a tank breather, may be your causing a vacuum in the tank, release the filler cap after running the engine for a while. If there is a whoosh of air when you take the filler off you are getting negative pressure in the tank

Hi. Thanks for the though as I was thinking that too, so took the cap off and no whoosh, well no noise at all!

I have a glass filter that you can see clearly in the engine bay and you can see the fuel pumping though, which makes me think it's not the fuel??

1.5 psi is too low for bike carbs

2.5 psi is more the number i think

Now that's interesting as on the rolling road session I had to swap the pump and regulator as the mechanical pump was over fuelling? Will try it with the higher pressure and see what happens.

Thanks

Well tried the fuel pressure at 2.5 and it does exactly the same!! bummer.

It is really strange that the car runs at temperature for about 10-15 minutes and then cuts out and the cutting out is really sudden! Its almost like it is time sensitive not temperature?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Sounds like fuel to me?? After its cut out, whip of the coil lead and crank to check for a spark.

Have you tried running it with the fuel filler cap off? What fuel pipes have you got? They could be

closing up if thin walled and restricting flow?

Guest zoomzoom

Hi what ignition system do you have? If its the standard sierra electronic system the ignition amplifier needs a heat sinc or it will over heat and stop working. Start by checking for a spark as soon as it cuts out, no spark look for the fault on the ignition.

Sounds like fuel to me?? After its cut out, whip of the coil lead and crank to check for a spark.

Have you tried running it with the fuel filler cap off? What fuel pipes have you got? They could be

Will give it a try with the fuel cap off, but I took the cap off I cut out and no whoosh noise. Will try the cold lead against he bock trick to check for spark. The pipes I bought are decent thick wall pipes so don't think that is the issue.

Will report back on progress.

Hi what ignition system do you have? If its the standard sierra electronic system the ignition amplifier needs a heat sinc or it will over heat and stop working. Start by checking for a spark as soon as it cuts out, no spark look for the fault on the ignition.

I have the standard sierra set up and I have a new amplifier like this (eBay number 221051172835). I have a brand new amplifier fitted. I have this mounted the the passenger footwell panel and has what looks like a built in heat sink. It is away from the main heat sources but as this is the only electronic part in the system it would make sense because when it cuts out it is almost like a switch has tripped and shut off the power. Will try the ht lead on the block to see what result I get.

Thanks

what about debris blocking the fuel pickup in the tank? Did you use sealant on the sender?

Don't think it will be that as didn't use any, just a rubber gasket where the sender mounts in the tank. The tank was brand new and am 99.99% sure nothing has got into it other than petrol.

Is there any easy way of telling? Without having to take the sender out and use mirrors?

Thanks

Guest marsbar

Hi Steve , check the temperature of the coil, I had this, and it was getting so hot that the oil stopped being a insulator.

That's why after a hour it starts straight away.

Probably not this, but worth eliminating from the list.

Good luck

Steve

Hi Steve , check the temperature of the coil, I had this, and it was getting so hot that the oil stopped being a insulator.

That's why after a hour it starts straight away.

Probably not this, but worth eliminating from the list.

Good luck

Steve

Hi will check this out with the coil firing etc. how hot is too hot? Never touched one other than fitting it to the car?

Thanks