Bike Carbs

jaimo

i have got a set of zx6 bike carbs

they are going on zetec if i do it but basically what i am wanting to know is

is it worth fitting them on pinto for a year or so

are they worth it to replace weber 32/36

i have got the carbs and maifold what else would i need fuel pump, regulator etc

U can run it just with regulator OR bike pump..i had stock pinto pump and regulator on my old car..i think its well worth it..nothing much more..u need modify your throttle cable..gasket..need make vacum pipe for servo and vacum for dizzy if u want one..and need buy wee crank case breether filter..i think thats it..if u have carbs and manifold rest is easy and its easy to do so deffo do it..

Yes it rews up much better..better throttle responce and faster..

Why u think so many people here have bike carbs?

I had this regulator and i know few people in here using it ebay 261098049248

Is your manifold has wee holes in it?its just vacum for your dizzy..if u dont want one just leave it..drive a while and see how it goes..it does not affect perfomance..danst sells one ready made vacum thingy u just bolt on..

Jaimo, don't take this the wrong way but you're like a moth flitting from one bright light to another - pinto, zetec, pinto, duratec, weber, bike carbs, zetec, pinto bike carbs pinto, edis, zetec, duratec....

My advice to you would be to build up the engine you got off Keith, stick with the weber and get it in the car and running properly, put the fast road cam in if you want but that will need better fuelling and exhaust and if you're dead set on fitting a zetec you can still use the car and gain a bit mechanicing experience while you do a bit more research, saving and preparing.

Pinto to pinto swap with what you have will be easy and cost very little, pinto to zetec is obviously more involved and unless you get very lucky on second hand parts is going to cost considerably more to do the job halfway properly.

• Like 5

I am a mechanic by trade and can strip and rebuild an engine etc with eyes shut but never really done modifying such as injection engine to carbs etc so advice is always good and never touched bike carbs never mind fitted them till I got them off Chris basically standard mechanic lol

• 1 month later...

Right got the manifold for the carbs I take it the four little pipes on each tube at bottom are for the vacums one for dizzy the other for the servo please correct me if I am wrong and what best way of doing this Chris tractor will be along to advise on balance bar and me and any other advice will be grateful zx6 carbs

post-13351-0-59934300-1443993132_thumb.jpg

post-13351-0-22580800-1443993140_thumb.jpg

post-13351-0-26573600-1443993161_thumb.jpg

Edited by jaimo

The 4 pipes 1 of each link together and go to dizzy vac advance

You'll need a larger pipe off any 1 for servo vac.

I used a universal throttle cable both push bike brake cable elbox for better angle for cable.

Sytek fuel pressure regulator from eBay too

• Like 1

Agree with Steve. And don't fit the hot cam. Why? When you go to run in a new cam it is essential to get it running at 2000rpm from first start. This is to work harden the cam surfaces. A period of turning over at cranking revs while you get a reluctant new engine to fire up or 1000rpm because the engine won't rev can kill a cam and followers. Don't do it. Assemble 'as is' with the trusty old webber and get it running beautifully. Then remove old cam and fit and run in new cam with all the proper checks to make sure there is no piston valve contact or coil binding.(Remember to make a bulkhead hole to allow the cam to be removed backwards. Mowerman or Florins tip?) Once that's properly done you can go on to fit the bike carbs. You have much mechanical experience you will see the sense in this. We all have ideas to build a brilliant engine but mistakes are expensive in time and cash.

Nigel

• Like 1

Longboarder's right. Get the engine running nice and starting up first time then fit any new high performance cam with anti scuffing compound then start the engine. Run at 2000-2500 for 20 minutes to bed it in. The chap at Kent Cams told me you don't have to run it continuously for the 20 minutes. You can switch off the engine and make any adjustments then start up again. I did mine in 4 x 5 minute stints so as not to annoy the neighbours!

Yeah was cutting the hole in bullhead going to put in at standard engine but I think half the problem is the carb so was gonna fit bike carbs get up and running then depending on engine feel leave alone for a while then when want more fit cam but will try start up and set up on Weber then fit bike carbs if that's best advice as never fitted bike carbs or if not fitting cam at first shall I go straight to bike carbs