Steering Components For Super Spec.

Guest Peter Kelly

Guest Peter Kelly

I need a replacement UV joint that fits between the steering shaft and the steering rack on my car.and possibly a new shaft also.

Can anyone help?

This is the top one, triangle to shaft. https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/de/steering-universal-joint-ford-sierra-triangle-end

But you want the bottom end to the rack. Does it use a sierra rack. If it does then the splined section is 'unique'. Ford put a master spline on it, sort of double spline without the groove so it only fits one way. Also has to push on far enough for the bolt to engage the groove in the rack male bit. CBS page I posted has a selection of bits to allow you to make up something.

Edited by Longboarder

I've been pondering the best solution for this issue for a superspec that I'm starting to build. I think I'm going to go with a UJ with a splined end and a DD end from CBS. I'm then going to make a shaft from a piece of 14/15 mm steel or stainless round bar which I'm going to mill both ends to fit the UJ and the Mondeo steering shaft. If you do it carefully, you should be able to cut the flats with a hacksaw and file.

I need a replacement UV joint that fits between the steering shaft and the steering rack on my car.and possibly a new shaft also.

Can anyone help?

I replaced mine a couple of years ago and used one off a Land Rover. Initially it wouldn’t tighten up sufficiently but by increasing the gap and then closing it in a vice we got a good tight fit.

Guest Peter Kelly

Alan,

Many thanks for your reply. Not sure what a PM is? But I found your Tasks completed list most interesting. Much of it I have done myself.

With regard to the cooling system I swapped the pressure cap on the header tank to one rated at 20lbs and it has never overheated or boiled dry since.

Thanks for the info.

Regards Pete.

Hi Pete

PM = Private Message. If I go to your profile and use the "Send a Message' option I get the "The member Pete the Dog cannot receive any new messages". I don't know if that means your inbox is full or whether the system is disabled.

Basically I was going to tell you that I am keeping a database of the Superspecs currently on the forum and on the road/being built. And I have been sending out Newsletters with useful information on them, such as a list of where the majority of parts come from. So far most of the information relates to the Rover engine, but again, because I cannot message you I don't know what engine you have fitted.

If you can't fix the messaging system then just drop me an e-mail at alan@rmrsoft.com and we can use that method.

Cheers

Al

Guest Peter Kelly

Alan I have deleted the messages in my PM box. Should work now. (didn,t even know it existed)

Pete.

I did make a list of part numbers for things like Clutch cable, remote oil filter and Bearings for pilot hole on flywheel to replace original bronze bearing.