2.0 Pinto Starter Motor

enforcer

After my original starter died after the winter lay up I'm struggling to find a source for new/reconditioned ones. This is the starter:

Starter.jpg

Can anyone share a link to a place where I can get one, or failing that does anyone have a good spare they would be willing to sell? Car is a standard 1988 2.0 pinto sierra (carbs). 10 tooth pinion.

Cheers

Rich

Have you investigated the faulty starter?? Most times it's just dust/dirt & general pitting in the solenoid. IT's possible to take this unit apart; carefully; As there maybe a coil wire to unsolder before the plastic cap ( with all the connection ) can be fully removed ( don't ask how I know that) Any-how get it apart , clean every thing & file ( single cut if possible) the contacts to remove the high spots. Don't try to remove all pitting, as there wont be a contact left afterwards.. Do the same with the motor, but only use very fine W&D paper, 800/1000 grit, when cleaning the commutator. Check all 4 brushes move freely in their boxes & are not badly broken, reassemble, clamp in vice & test. Should be a good'un. Above was done to Florin's starter 25k miles ago & working fine since. ( famous last words--- hopefully not)

Thanks Florin - I did dismantle and investigate and found that one of the couple electrodes in the armature/commutator had disintegrated/corroded, probably where the engine has been standing for the past 6 months? This meant that depending on where the spinning motor came to rest it either would or wouldn't turn over. The brushes looked pretty well shot and there was quite a bit of play in the bushes - shiny new starter will give me more peace of mind ... as long as Euro Car Parts can come up with the one I need.

not that it matters now, but the pitted commie segments will be from shorted turns on the armature..... never will be any good whatever you do to it.... unless you want it as a doorstop