A New Start For My S7

Guest nakedsamuraiguy

Guest nakedsamuraiguy

G'day, my names Matt Watts and four years ago I rescued an S7 from banger racing. It was quite beaten up and needed some attention, so after getting it back to my garage work began, and has been on and off ever since. Before it even got to me it had been heavily modified; originaly being a Cortina doner, the engine had been replaced, with that of an V6 Fuel Injected 83' Granada. Needless to say, theres not much space in the front anymore. Now I've managed to fix most of the problems that the extra large engine has caused, however I am in need of a new bonnet, as the engine is "too big" for the bay and I need a bump in the bonnet to get over the throttle assembly. Does anyone know anyone who makes custom bonnets? As this seems to be the last hurdle to getting my S7 back on the road.

All help is greatly appreciated

Guest vacinc

you"ll have to do that your self, i"m afaid, get a bonnet scoop, and use a 4" grinder, any pictures of the car ?? love to see some ps someone here will have a template of the bonnet

Edited by vacinc

No Template for the bonnet --- Just a hole filled with an upside down baking tin ( mIssus bought it special !!.)

Well, I made a fibreglass bulge using the tin as a mould - so it sloped, and bolted/stuck it in.

Graham

Guest nakedsamuraiguy

Thanks for the tips guys, I was hoping to avoid making one myself as I'm not the greatest at making things. Still, I've dug out my old copy of "Build yourself a Sportscar" and it's got a few good pointers on how to make a decent fitting bonnet. So it's of to a craft shop for some card and then to find some cheap aluminium.

As requested, here are some photos of said "Beast"

Sideprofile.jpg

The Seven taking up part of my mums driveway

Frontprofile.jpg

As you can see, the current bonnet doesn't want to fit at all. Also if you look carefully you can get a glimmer of my dads Singer Chamois in the background

fullbay.jpg

And here we have the Beast's heart, which is impressive enough on it's own, but coupled with the fact it starts first time after being stood for 2years+ and it's just FANTASTIC!

chockablock.jpg

Wait, can I see some empty space under my hood? Best fill that!

Sidepipes.jpg

When I first bought it, the exhaust pipes ran underneath instead of out, making it the enemy of all speed bumps, these new pipes were the first thing to get fixed

Can.jpg

And theres the other side, just as nature had intended

Backside.jpg

Originally sporting a spare tire bolted directly on to the back, I figured it should go. If you look just above the rollbar you can just see one of the pipes from the engine sticking out, that's part of what needs a bump over

CenterDash.jpg

New dashboard, missing one clock, not sure which one

Steeringwheel.jpg

With key ignition in the middle and a push button start, that's how it should be, in my opinion

Bucketseats.jpg

Bucket seats! Originally destined for a Cobra, I picked them up cheap, as you cant fit anything bigger in this one

Well hopefully if I can get my hands on some "ex"-Granada parts I'll be back in business soon. I intend, if I have any money to give it a complete respray of British Racing Green, while Red is nice, Green suits it better.

Wish me luck

Matt

Guest Bazwaz

Hi Matt and welcome

One of oue members, Big Lee, also runs a S7 with a v6. You may like to take a look at his website.

Here http://www.lees7.co.uk/

Have a look at his pics as his engine fits under the bonnet okay.

I assume the cars already correctly registered for the road.

Does it run cool enough with just the viscous fan. You may want to consider fitting an electric one and perhaps fit the rad into the nosecone. whatever you do good luck.

Hi Matt welcome to the club :D

From looking at the photos you have posted, it looks to me that your S7 is to be one of the last Cortina based models (S7 Cortina Donington) as it has the front suspension subframe bolted in back to front and the metal rear panel with the two piece rear wings where my S7 has the one piece rear section.

Check that the rear axle has had the mod to the mk1 micra link rods and not the RH fifth link which came with the kit to stop the rear axle wind up when you hit the loud pedel and bolts into the top of the diff

Micra mod

RH fifth link

If you need the drawing for this mod I think I still have then somewhere!!!!!!!!.

Chris

Guest nakedsamuraiguy

Once again lads, thanks for all your imput.

Nige, unfourtunately when the S7 was picked up, the original bonnet was then used as a guinea pig to test some riviting techniques and is therefore, full of rivits, so not salvage-able.

Bazwaz, someone else has already told me about "Big Lee", and I see why his fits better than mine, he fitted it whilst constructing it and put the fuel injection box under the scuttle, whereas my S7 had the engine fitted way after construction and has the fuel injection box in the nose cone, I have been getting some worrying overheat problems, so I feel a second electric fan may be the next thing I fit, thanks for putting me on the right track. I've also got replace the current hose for the radiator due to a disturbing kink leading to the engine block.

Chris, Blimey you've got good eyes! Identifying my S7 from the front suspension. As too the rear axel mods, I'm popping the car onto an elevated surface soon to get under it, and I'll have a check then, if I need the bits and any advice, I hope you won't mind if I give you a shout.

As always, cheers lads

Matt