Nord Lock Washers

MarkBzero

I got a bottle opener from these guys showcasing somewhere a few years ago. You could do the wing nut by hand but blimey did I need to get some leverage on it to undo it! I'd consider it an option but would you fit and forget or still spanner check regularly anyway?

Nice vid, interesting!

I think it's one thing to be using these types of washers on mission/life-critical systems but I won't be rushing to swap all the bolts on a car for them :). I lockwire the important stuff, and I also torque seal bolts where I need to know if they've shifted. I've yet to find a bolt loosened where it shouldn't have :)

As Dan says above, lock tabs, lock-nuts or Loctite seem to be effective in all our mechanical applications.

I wonder if the promotional video leans heavily on using the most critical vibration required for rattling loose the fixings?

Wow, they look awesome. I spanner check all my nuts and bolts twice a year and all are nylok nuts. Without fail i will always find a lose nut somewhere! I don't mean hanging off but lose enough to feel by hand. Have always thought about locite or some back up method, but these would be ace.

Cars are racking up billions of miles without bits falling off everywhere and they don't use anything more sophisticated then spring washers, Nyloc nuts or patch bolts.

Tells you everything you need to know.

Agree with that. Might switch mine to spring washers, Just looked at the prices of the Nord Lock washers :shok:

If it's the video I think it is, they've got a test rig that moves two halves of a bolted joint. A properly designed joint won't have movement of the two halves as the clamping force exerted by the bolt would prevent movement. It shows that the nordlock washers work well in badly designed or improperly torqued bolted joints, which is certainly a good thing, but not a game changer for most applications

Edited by Grim
  • Like 1

Guest dieselnut

I picked up the same keyring demonstrator at an engineering trade show, in playing with it I decided they were only good if you never ever wanted the things you bolted to ever come apart again! Hand tight on the wing nut and it took a spanner across it with it clamped in a vice to get it undone. Dare say if you tightened a normal bolt with them then you'd shear the bolt before it came undone!!