Transaxle Gearbox and mid engine In A Kitcar

richardm6994

I'm looking into my next project.......something I've been wanting to do for years and now I'm finally going to have a go at it.

As with most things I end up doing, this will be a 1-off;

I'm looking at a mid-engine rwd car design (gearbox at the rear) and I'd like the engine to be north-south orientation.

Whatever engine I decide to use, I'll probably go down the road of using a stand alone ECU such as megasquirt & throttle bodiies.......

I think the porsche 944 engine and gearbox fits the kind of criteria I'm looking for (if there is a way to join the engine straight to the gearbox without that long section propshaft section that goes in the middle to make the 944's front engines), but is the engine any good? has anyone any experience with them as I know absolutely nothing about them.......is it even possible to bolt the porsche engine or any other engine directly to the gearbox without the prop-section??? or any other engine gearbox combo suggestions?.....but not wanting to break the bank either!

Edited by steamer

Guest alfaGTA

Has to be the VAG 1.8 20v turbo engine, already has a transaxle attached and a reliable 300bhp with a little work, donated from a passat or a4. You could do another v8 (the audi a8 came with a 3.7 v8 fwd transaxle) but one V8 in the garage is enough for anyone!

The Alfa is a good suggestion but the drive shafts look as though they are parallel with the crankshaft......I need them to be perpendicular to the crank.

The Passat / a4 engine and gearbox looks alright.....does it have vvt or anything like that which could cause me problems by not using the stock ecu?

Guest Ian & Carole

The Alfa is a good suggestion but the drive shafts look as though they are parallel with the crankshaft......I need them to be perpendicular to the crank.

There must be a box that would be suitable even if a adaptor plate is needed, sure you must know some one who could machine one up for you.

:rofl: :rofl:

Guest alfaGTA

Alfa v6 is fwd and drive shafts in line with crank, I think it's the alfa 75 with a gearbox in the rear axle and not suitable.... If you go for the busso v6 hunt out the 3.2 v6 GTA engine-it's rorty! Real rorty and used in stratos replicas...

So far as I know the VAG ecu can be remapped to allow for a 300bhp target so you might get away with stock ecu-May have canbus issues to negotiate though.... Plenty of donor parts for that engine and transmission available off the shelf