Louder Indicators

Guest keith12

I want to upgrade my indicators to make a louder beep when turning as i tend to leave them on because i can't hear them, and in daylight the green light is hardly visible and also they don't switch off when the steering is corrected.

Would i be right in saying I need to change the relay or do i need some other device, any idea's,

thanks fick brummy. :blush:

Just a thought - if there are 2 dash indicator lights you will probably need a couple of diodes as well ( or get 2 buzzers one for left one for right )

Hmm might do this to mine....

Thanks, Maplins it is then, its a sierra dash with one light :D

I have one of the louder ones fitted for over a year now,

after wearing out 2 flasher units having left the indicators on. :o

Works a treat wired in parallel with the dash light. :rolleyes:

Just becomes a bit of a pain when queueing for a long time.

But you dont leave it on! :D

Guest John Williams

Hi Guys,

Just been wondering if there is a cuter way of doing this.

If the buzzer if wired across the instrument cluster lamp or via diodes from the left and right circuits,

then, if I`ve read the wiring diagrams correctly, operating the hazard warning switch will make the buzzer will sound too.

This would, if I had to use it for any length of time, drive me completely bonkers. 8P

Short of using a switch for the hazards other than the one in the standard Sierra multifunction switch,

I can't see a way round it.

Note I'm not able to check this out in reality as my Exmo is still in the state Mats was in a year ago!

John

As all the switch wiring is within the Ford multifunction switch there will be no way to isolate the indicator / hazard circuits. As you say you could put an off switch in though.

Personally the only time my hazards get used is at MOT time.

Keith

You might be interested in my alternative solution?

I didn't want to user a buzzer as it would be annoying at low speeds or when queuing, so I purchased a couple of green 12v LED's with Bezels and wired them to the indicator circuit. They are fitted directly above the steering wheel, in line of sight so can't be missed. LED's make no difference to the flash rate.

I also fitted an Orange LED for oil pressure and Red LED for ignition, all fitted into a small panel (my car has standard Sierra clocks in the centre of the dash). Works a treat!

post-1735-1189625835_thumb.jpg

Keith

You might be interested in my alternative solution?

I didn't want to user a buzzer as it would be annoying at low speeds or when queuing, so I purchased a couple of green 12v LED's with Bezels and wired them to the indicator circuit. They are fitted directly above the steering wheel, in line of sight so can't be missed. LED's make no difference to the flash rate.

I also fitted an Orange LED for oil pressure and Red LED for ignition, all fitted into a small panel (my car has standard Sierra clocks in the centre of the dash). Works a treat!

Looks good, nice dash, you have got me thinking as i am going to renew my dash in the winter so maybe i might use led's .

Thanks for the dilemma

PS looks like you know how to cut aluminium better than me :D

Thanks Keith, but I certainly didn't cut the main panel. In fact it's not aluminium, it's laser cut and sand blasted stainless steel (to eliminate reflection) which a pal got done for £20. The sand blasting doesn't reflect but does show finger marks, so I'm still thinking about how to treat it to stop the marking.

The smaller LED panel is a mix of stainless steel and aluminium - wasn't intended to be but a slight miss-communication!

Guest chris brown
Hi Guys,

Just been wondering if there is a cuter way of doing this.

If the buzzer if wired across the instrument cluster lamp or via diodes from the left and right circuits,

then, if I`ve read the wiring diagrams correctly, operating the hazard warning switch will make the buzzer will sound too.

This would, if I had to use it for any length of time, drive me completely bonkers. 8P

Short of using a switch for the hazards other than the one in the standard Sierra multifunction switch,

I can't see a way round it.

Note I'm not able to check this out in reality as my Exmo is still in the state Mats was in a year ago!

John

If you use diodes the hazard lights being used wont make the buzzer work (well mine dosent) as it relies on the non lighting side of the car for its earth (via the bulbs) and as both sides are working together then there is no earth.