Bonding Kits

Guest Mr Pid

Guest Mr Pid

I recently purchased a scoopy vent to stick in the nosecone. :p

Unfortunately the bloody thing sticks out about a foot either side so im gonna be having a lot of chopping a refitting. :(

Does anyone know where i can get the excellent quality bonding kits that bodyshops use to stick on panels and spoilers etc? :o

Cheers

Stu :D

Guest paul mercer

i've fitted a bonnet scoop to my nose cone, and did it the following way. I didn't want any marks on the outside of the vent so i used silicon to secure threaded inserts to the scoop. I then drilled through the bonnet and bolted into the inserts. All drill holes are in the scoop so you cant see them. Could get photos if it helped.

Guest Mr Pid

Yeah some pics would be cool cheers Paul. :)

I plan on doing it the old fashioned was of cutting the scoop up into lots of little strips and placing each strip as required so as to fill up the hole and follow the curvature of the nosecone. :mellow:

The guys i used to work with at a bodyshop used to place the part/s in place and secure its position with a little screw, once all were in place then the screws would be removed and bonding agent smeared all over both surfaces. :unsure:

The part/s would then be re-screwed back into place using the same locating holes and hence the same place as they were before-but with the bonding agent to secure it. This was then left for 24 hours to cure and then the screws were removed. This leaves the part/s bonded as if it were part of the oringal and a few screw holes which only need a light skim to cover and then finish it, then paint. B)

Cheers

Guest paul mercer

Stu,

i'll get some photos over the weekend and post them on monday. Doing lates next week so prob won't post till 4/5 ish. I'm not overly sure what you mean either. Surely you're not going to cut up a new air intake?

I've not painted my nose cose, so i didn't want any marks on it. I filed down the bottom lip of the scoop till it made a nice seal.

Paul

Guest Mr Pid

Well you may all look in dismay but yes i did cut up a brand new scooby vent into lots of little strips and put them in piece by piece!! :o

I had almost a foot left over which gives you some idea how overly big it was! :huh:

A bit of fibreglass and an illusive bonding kit is all i need now and hopefully it should turn out ok! (i hope, fingers crossed etc) :(

Ill get some piccies to so you can see the madness!

Guest paul mercer

A view from under the bonnet. The vent is there to aid cooling, hence the holes in the nosecone. If you look through the nosecone you can see the silicon that has bonded in the threaded inserts. I then put bolts through the nosecone into these inserts.

post-5-1078747631.jpg

Guest paul mercer

this is a view through the air intake. The black stripe at the top is tape which is protecting the scoop, the blue is the nosecone. You can just make out the white/clear silicone which is attached to the top of the scoop and which contains the threaded insert.

post-5-1078748129.jpg

Guest paul mercer

a small diagram just in case the photos didn't make it clear.

(i do apologise about the professional appearance of my 'paint' work)

post-5-1078748533.jpg

Guest Mr Pid

Cool, looks really smart Paul!! :D

I think i can understand how you fitted it. B)

I spoke to my bro, who works on space satellites and he is getting me some bonding agent which they use to fix them together so i dont think mine will ever have a chance of coming apart!! :(

I notice that you have your brake resevoir sticking through the bonnet as i do, are you convering this with another vent type thing? :unsure:

Cheers

Guest paul mercer

Yes, i've made another air intake. I hoped to have the resevoir (abs) below the bonnet, but it didn't quite work out. I've not quite got round to fitting it yet. Why is your resevoir poking through?

Guest Mr Pid

My resevoir is poking through as i had to raise the pedal box so as the servo clears the dowpipe from the turbo, it used to touch which was obviously bad luck waiting to happen!! :o

I only sticks through about an inch but still im gonna have to construct another vent so as to make it look a bit neater. ;)

With all the bulges, vents, hoses, valves and all sticking out the car its beginning to look like something is trying to escape from inside!! :blink: