Theducks severely over running Winter Mods - Youtube Series

theduck

Been waiting a while for this instalment.

Is 180 - 200 bhp the target?

Power will come down to how brave I am with the boost controller when we start mapping it. I have a goal on mind, but youll just have to wait and see 😁

• 2 months later...

What a great series have just run through the whole threads Wow. Only just picked it up and astounded at your perseverance.

I thought I was the only person to attempt side pods!

My 1 contains the main coolant radiators because I ran out of room and did not want to change the bonnet line. Only just got car on road and the cooling has been worth the trouble.

Looking forward to attending gatherings next year as missed the fun getting the car going and road legal.

Once again great filming :clapping:

• 1 month later...

So insurance is due on this Stoneleigh weekend, getting prices sorted now.  Place your bets now as to best and worst prices I get!

Oh, and I might do an update video soon...

Edited by theduck

• 3 months later...

Well....  I didnt do an update video soon, but I have been working on the car.  Was meant to go to MOT today, but apparently I decided soldering part of the wiring loom was a good idea 2.5 years ago, today I found out the hard way it was not a good idea!  Still, easy fix, and thankfully not many other soldered joints to replace.  I was going to do a proper update video so had the gopro on, so here is a some footage of me breaking down 🤣

All of the text books insist crimping is better than soldering, soldering just feels like it should be better in the mind. I like to solder but you gotta make sure you don’t overheat, if solder travels into the insulation that’s where it gets most problematic. I still only solder where there is zero flexibility in the loom tho. Pros for soldering, reduces risk of oxidisation, cheaper, smaller. Cons, risk of heat damage, can be brittle, more time consuming. 

it's funny you say that - my loom is crimped everywhere because I asked on here before I started wiring it up and I got 3 pages of replies! The responses were 50/50 so I went crimp because I cannot solder to save my life.

But on the way back from Stoneleigh, my alternator stopped charging (voltmeter dropped to 11v) and it was because one of my crimped connections had simply separated. I got it going again using gaffer tape and when I got home, I soldered the connection instead and started worrying about all the other crimped connections I have.

Loose plugs is more of the problem, I think - every connection should be clipped to something solid before and after the plug and then it probably wouldn't matter whether crimped or soldered. Too late for me - any new builders, save yourselves now!! 😀

• Like 1

Motorsport professionals crimp (I know one who does GT wiring looms).

I know a guy who works high up in Cembre who do all of the cabling and tooling for industrial-size electricals like the rail network. Guess what they do... crimp (mind you, you'd never solder that gauge anyway I imagine!)

I've had this discussion many a time with people, to the point where I'm past caring :). But you can bodge a crimped connection just as easily as a soldered one (in fact, I'd argue most people don't appreciate the finer intracacies of a crimped connected, and can stuff one up easier than a soldered connection - incorrect tool, incorrect fitting, incorrect application)...

Each to their own, if they want to go soldering their entire loom I'll leave them to it ;).

We all know that sinking feeling 😥

Crimping is the way to go. But I have had problems with crimps also, even with the right tool. If you use to much force you can cut right through the wires and have the crimp held on with just the insulation relief. Good Grief! Live and learn.