Best Diff To Use?

Guest nippykev

Guest salty_monk

Would think a low oil level would affect it as it's viscous (so the oil provides the "lock" if I'm correct as it gets thicker as it gets hot & that's what stops the wheel spinning...

You could just take the back plate off if you want to drain it/check oil quality check & then put it back on & fill as normal through filler hole...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScotMac

Yes, Dan, a torsional LSD (quaife) is much better. He will take a normal 7" non-lsd diff and make it into a torsional!!??!! GREAT!!!! I'll take one!!! Do you mind talking to him and seeing if he is serious??? I bet he could find a LOT of interest from locost'ers...

Let me know (I can buy one ebay, and have it shipped to you (or him)).

Thanks, -sm

Guest timswait
£200 for a 3.9 one built into my casing with new bearings & seals...

Bite his hand off at that. A Quaife ATB is over £800 just for the diff itself, never mind fitting it into a casing.. I might be interested too.

I can't really understand what happened to you, Andy. At 70 I couldn't spin up one wheel even (normal diff). If it was really wet and aquaplanning it might happen, but even damp roads and oil I can't really see it happening. I guess you've checked the car and made sure nothing broke, was it driving normally once you had extricated yourself from the bank?

it was only damp, no standing water and it wasn't raining! I checked the subframe mounting plate to see if it had broken again, didn't look like it had. I drove home rather slowly after that, but didn't notice anything different. Not been out in it again yet.

Guest ScotMac

Grim, i know nothing about this. But just from what i have read perspective, supposedly the viscous fluid can heat up, and then not operate correctly...heat will make it thinner and thus LESS viscous (as others have said).

AND YES, i believe a low viscous oil level will definitely affect its operation.

But as i understand, both the above conditions would make it LESS viscous, so then wouldn't it just fall back to being a non-LSD? Hmmm.Maybe Mick's saw-dust theory is a better explanation.

Dan, i assume the quietness is because you are working sooo hard to get in touch w/ that torsional LSD guy!!!! ;-)

Guest salty_monk

Thanks foxy! I occasionally have better things to do than type answers back to you lot!! :D

I was off in Scotland picking up my new toy...

It was a £200 cash price, don't think he'd do it for that export but maybe if you spoke to him nicely in person... :)

The diff is second hand unit out of a race series which may help to explain the price, he has a source of them I think.... Anyone who wants his number send me a PM & I'll dig it out... (actually I've posted on here before if you search)