Rh Propshafts

Guest Battery Bill

Guest Battery Bill

Chris

well it was today

:lol: :lol: Coincidence or what ? :lol: :lol:

Yes I think we will start packing them on a six monthly routine :rolleyes: Our front panel is removable so it should not be that hard but I will fit smaller "Grease nipples" though :D

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hypermick

Bit of a head scratcher that one Bill ,. :huh:

I would have thought that the only thing that would have smashed the grease nipples off would be the yokes, running well out of alignment. For a foreign lump of whatever to get between the yokes at the front and the rear is highly unlikely. <_<

I have to confess, when I first saw the propshaft in the kit, I got rid of the long nipples and replaced them with short ones,. It may sound over critical but a long nipple like that has the same effect as a balancing weight (in this case could take it out of balance) and lead to premature wear after earlier signs of vibration kicking in.

Mick

• 3 weeks later...
Guest yosamite sam

strange coincidence that - my prop rear UJ packed in in june.. the bearing ran so dry it just about collapsed.. noticed bad vibrations first.. i'm guessing that kit manufacturers use fords or whatever UJ's and weld in the right length prop tube to suit for the kit, so the UJ's will be pretty much the same across the board to fit say a type 9 and say a ford diff flange. so happens when mine went i took it to a transmission place who measured it with a digi vernier and found it the same size as a peugeot one exactly! which has been fitted now and running fine. the ford one didnt have any nipples in it tho.. nor the new one.. strange it going tho after only 16k miles.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm getting some strange noises from my tunnel. At first i thought it was gearbox but new gearbox now so can't be that. Can't be engine as it has done it with both engines. It's done it with 2 different diffs as well. So by a process of elimination i'm thinking its propshaft.

Its not the donut one its the uj one with grease nipples.

It only makes a noise when i back off the throttle between 4500 and 1500 revs and its bloody loud, doesn't seem to make much noise when i'm accelerating although it could just be that its being drowned out by the exhaust. I've had the car about 5 years and never greased the prop could that be my problem. :wacko:

Andy

Andy

I had the same problem (maybe not the same noise) on backing off. It gets worse when you're trying to hold a constant speed, right? Especially at cruising speeds? Sounds like a screech?

It's more likely to be the spigot bearing. This sits in the end of the crankshaft and it mates with the gearbox input shaft. If it goes dry (it's packed with grease when new, but there are no seals) the rollers disintegrate and the gearbox shaft rattles around making that ugly noise.

So check the U/Js on the prop for play first, as they are more accessible. If they seem tight, you will have to take the engine out, separate the gearbox from it and replace the spigot bearing. Theyu cost about a tenner from Uncle Henry, but you do need a special tool to extract it. I took my engine along to the dealer and they took it out for free.

Good luck

JonB

Guest Battery Bill

Andy

Sounds the same as our problem, You will be able to see if your back Propshaft UJ is burgered from underneath. Its a bit of a pain because you need to move the diff to squeeze the propshaft out

Good luck

:D

More of a grindy type noise. I'll try and record it. Seems to come from the tunnel area. Exact same noise with 2 different blocks, this one was professionally done at Newark Engines and everything is new.

You could be right though not sure if they swapped the crank over to the new block because it was a balanced one.

I'll inspect the prop first then maybe take the engine out during winter (i've only just put the damn thing in).

Cheers,

Andy

Guest FIRSTBUILD

checked my uj last night and it is chucking the grease out already (800 miles) should I change the nipple ? or is it leaking because it was overgreased ? :(

doh !

Steve

Guest chris brown
It's more likely to be the spigot bearing. This sits in the end of the crankshaft and it mates with the gearbox input shaft. If it goes dry (it's packed with grease when new, but there are no seals) the rollers disintegrate and the gearbox shaft rattles around making that ugly noise.
Sorry to disagree with you Jon but once the clutch is fully engaged the spigot bearing is no longer in play as the g/box input shaft is turning at the same speed as the crank which has the spigot bearing pressed into it's end. Therefore there is no movement between the bearing and shaft.

Firstbuild

checked my uj last night and it is chucking the grease out already (800 miles) should I change the nipple ? or is it leaking because it was overgreased ?
The chances are it is grease that was pushed out when you greased then if they were anything like mine lots came out of some parts before others hence I had lots of grease around by the time I had it flowing from all 4 bearings.

Sorry to disagree with you Jon but once the clutch is fully engaged the spigot bearing is no longer in play as the g/box input shaft is turning at the same speed as the crank which has the spigot bearing pressed into it's end. Therefore there is no movement between the bearing and shaft.

That's OK Chris, I'm just reporting my experience. Once I replaced my spigot bearing the noise went away. The noise came when holding constant speed, and was much worse when the clutch was depressed. It also seemed to come from the bell housing. You may remember a post I made a while back asking what it was. At the time I suspected a bearing in the gearbox that goes round the input shaft. Well, for me, right part, but wrong end!

Like I said, Andy should eliminate the propshaft first, then examine the spigot bearing.

• 4 months later...

Some more info about the strange noise coming from tunnel. My original Prop had lost the grease nipple on the front UJ. So i bought a new prop from RH which was fractionally longer. It still stick out about 1.5" from the gearbox but i think this might not be causing the problem. Symptoms:

-Noise is worse when backing off but with clutch still engaged. As soon as i depress the clutch pedal the noise stops.

-Can hear the noise when accelrating but not as much.

-Happens around 3000-4500rpm and is really quite loud.

-Noise the same with 2 different Diffs.

-Noise the same with two different gearboxes.

-Noise same with two different props.

-Noise same with 2 different engines, but same crank, flywheel, clutch and bellhousing. Flywheel is dowelled to the crank and the crank is balanced with rods matched.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Andy

Edited by AWhite