Exmo Suspension

Dave Ed

ok cool, does the collar just slip over the insert, if so how is it held in place to stop it moving

i'm not back in the uk for 6 weeks yet so have still got loads of time to sort it out

the collar is a press fit, I had to get a local firm to do it for me as the workbench you see in the photo was not man enough and fell appart. In the end they had to skim the insert in a lathe as it wasn't round! once on and fitted to the car the bottom plain section of the collar fits into the pinch collar on the front hub, as this is tightend it will clap it all in place.

• 3 years later...

This seems like a good thread to continue with the question I have regards the front shock absorbers....

As can be seen on my photo, the p100 shock absorber insert and threaded collar pass through the wheel hub and then the big pinch bolt clamps it all together to stop it moving.

The dia of the big hole in the hub which the damper passes through is about 48mm.

An idea I have is to use an avo adjustable coil-over damper instead of the p100 damper. They have a 42mm dia body so it fits through the 48mm dia hub hole (will machine a sleeve to make up the difference).

The eyelet at the bottom I'd cut off so that the shock body sits as low as possible in the hub.

The eyelet at the top I'd also cut off and machine some kind of adaptor that matches my current set up...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item53f6924f40

The above should all be easy to do, but the only concern I have is the strength of the shock absorber body being clamped on its diameter in the sierra hub?

image_zpsdb2340a6.jpg

What are people's thoughts? Barking up the wrong tree or feasible?

I've just got off the phone to a chap at AVO.

Fair play to him, he did seem to know what he was talking about and gave up 20 minutes or so of his time even though he was advising against using AVO coil overs in my application (which I still think he didn't fully understand....so onto RHOCAR for advice).

I explained as best as I could my mcpherson set-up....i.e. the body of the p100 damper clamps into the sierra hub and the top of the damper is fixed to the top of my strut.

I explained my proposal (see my post above) and his reasons for advising against using a coil-over was that they are not designed to be used as a "strut" and would probably fail under the lateral loads the hub / wheel places it under.

Now I understand what he's talking about and why he is concerned.....but surely a 42mm steel body coil over is just as strong as the p100 damper (which is thinner)???

He was saying that even the p100 damper currently fitted is no good because of the lateral movements it experiences and I should ditch the set-up and convert it to a double wish-bone.......but obviously its been their for years and virtually all exmo's use this set-up......this is why I have some reservations about his concerns...

What are your thoughts........but I'm not going double wish as it's simply too much work and not enough room for any kinds of top-mount sub-frames!!

I can feel a kinda wish-bone set-up coming on...........just don't tell claire!!!

I'd keep the sierra TCA and tie-bar at the bottom and fabricate some kind of top wishbone set-up.

The strength of the butress on the body will be a good point for one of the top wishbone mounts and also the coil-over mount and then there is just one point on the body to strength for the second top wishbone mount (the one above the tie-bar mount).............

...........maybe in a year or two though......I must have a winter off any major car modifications after the last 2 winters none stop... SWMBO will kill me!!

I think for this winter I'm just going to stck to the rear end suspension strengthening / upgrade and some adjustable TCA's on the front to help with a proper suspension set-up..

I can see the bloke's point, but given failures of the strut are unheard of i think it's safe enough. You just need to convince someone to make you one, without worrying about liability!

At the end of the day it's not much different to a normal mcpherson strut.

AVO would supply exactly what I need as an off-the-shelf coilover....and I could easily get it to fit......but AVO say their coil-overs are designed for compression forces such as a double wishbone setup and won't stand up to any of the laterial forces that comes with the mcpherson arrangement.....but then he also say's the p100 damper insert shouldn't be up to them either!!!

To be honest I feel a little bit stuck between a rock and a hard place.....as I'm thinking along your lines Andy and I think it should be safe enough as my TCA & tie-bars take nearly all of the laterial forces from the wheel and hub....but then I now have the niggling doubt because of what the AVO man has said.

What do they cost?

I think it's possible that it would wear out the piston or seals quicker than intended, but may still last perfectly long enough for a car of this type.

They are £80 each for the steel body type (assuming that is stronger than the ally ones).

http://www.avouk.com/MotorsportFrameset-84.htm

The block also suggested that the pinch-bolt hub might crush the body when it clamps on. I can't see that myself unless these things are made of paper thin steel!!

That link doesn't work :( Yes, would go for steel and not ali.

I'd be very surprised if it would be a problem, my dummy struts are only 2mm-ish wall thickness and work perfectly. You'd be clamping it at one end, outside of the piston travel?

It's difficult to be definitive without knowing precisely how they are made, but if the p100 ones work i can't see how an aftermarket replacement would be much different.

You'd be clamping it at one end, outside of the piston travel?

I'd be clamping as close to the end I can get but the adjuster knob has to sit below the pinch-bolt hub clamp.

I think I'm going buy the coilovers for the rear first and when they arrive have a look and assess the front again.

I'd like to do it....and I think it would work....hopefully

I was looking at a similar thing for my Exmo.

I ended up buying a set of almost new sub K suspension from a member here, the front set up is the same as the exmo but not adjustable.

The rear were adjustable gaz shocks but was the wrong configuration for mounting as they were designed for the 2b chassis

I'll have to get a bracket made up and strengthen up the rear

In the end I got some original coil overs as well so I've got loads of options open to me.

I've just spoken to dampertech......what a great company! Very positive and proactive in trying to help me out.

Anyway, I'm going to take my car to them when I get chance so they can have a proper look at my setup and judging by my phone call this afternoon they are confident they'll have what I need.

• Like 1