Power Upgrade

Guest Tim Norman

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Tim Norman

Read somewhere that the Rover V8 produces its maximum power at approx 75 degrees C and by 95 degrees C it can have lost up to 10%. When I had it tuned it was running at 95 degrees. I have had a dig round the garage and found a 74 degree thermostat, drilled and tapped an air bleed into the thermostat housing which is the next highest point on the system after the header tank and it now runs at 80 degrees. However, my oil temperature never seems to get over 50 degrees which can't be good.

Still need to sort some proper air trumpets as I am getting stand off with my current set up.

And I had to change all my dials as the mirrored look is great in the dark, but crap in the daylight as you can't actually see the dials to read them!

Time to start tweaking the suspension to make it handle as it is a bit soft on the front for my liking at present.

He's coming along though and the sound is ansolutely awsome!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tim Norman

30 degrees air temp and in traffic not going over 50mph and my temp never got over 90 degrees and one the orad in front of me cleared it went back to 80 degrees very quickly. OIl Temperature is still a woryy though as it struggles to get over 60 degrees. Developed a misfire on the way home, closer ispection led to me finding on eof the ignition wire boots had been resting on the exhaust manifold and had burnt through. Looking at making a plenum for the throttle bodies to draw from and have some trumpts made to smooth the airflow somwhat in attempt o make it a bit more driveable.

It never ends!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tim Norman

Finally got *bleep* of with the current manifold and have taken it off. Altiss Engineering making me a new one that will actually fit! managed to find some proper inlet trumpets ans will fabricate an air box like the motorbike has and somehow try to get the ram air effect working!

Have also found a wideband Lambda sensor so will have that wired in before it goes back to Emerald. THis time when it comes back the bonnet will stay on!

Guest Tim Norman

He had a big American thing in his workshop. The engine was a 9.5L Big Block Chevy with teim injectors per cylinder, twin turbos oh yes and approx 3000 ponies under the bonnet!

The only down side is the 5 week wait for the manifold.

That could well be Andy's motor.....

BTW the car it goes in is street legal.....really....

9.5 litres (575 cu in.) is run of the mill nowadays.

Several have 850 cu in motors.....15 litres give or take...

More info HERE

• 10 months later...
Guest Tim Norman

Injection is now gone. Got sick of it being off the road so back to Carb. Unfortunately I am short a few bits to be at Newark so will be in the Kitten probably.

Have got a new cylinder head, modified manifold, 32 ICH carb and free flow exhaust for the kitten but that can wait until after Newark!