Type 9 Rebuild Started

speedtripledan

Hi Dan,

I have a broken type 9 I suspect lay-shaft bearings and 3rd/4th baulk rings. whining in third, unable to select 4th without some crunching and output bearing is fubar, prop shaft is all over the place.

Anyway good news I am still on the road with another gearbox, still jumps out of 4th but drive-able. Now to the point, was it easy to take the gearbox apart, what special tools if any do you need? The last gearbox I took apart was a Bedford MJ and that was 20 years ago.

It was fairly easy other than the fact the Haynes is wrong in a few steps. You need the older manual. No special tools Other than an air impact gun to remove the 5th gear nut and I modified a 2 leg puller to lift 5th from its shaft. And a couple of punches to knock out roll pins. also a press to push off various bits of the main shaft.

Edited by DanE

thought i'd update the rebuild, NOT CHEAP ! the bearings are silly expensive they have cost £170 on there own, a new lay shaft has cost £49 then to modify it to heavy duty has cost a further £80 for bearing and bush the uprated 2.98 1st gear set has cost £120 then gaskets and seals have cost £15. A total of £435 to repair it to h/d spec with tall 1st gear. I wasnt going to go for the tall 1st but for the extra £120 i though why not, it would cost twice that to get a recon in that spec and you dont know for sure its had new bearings etc

when all the bits turn up i will need to turn the v6 input shaft down to the same length as the 2.0L once thats done it rebuild time and hope it works !!!

next project will be the diff

• 1 month later...

the rebuild is now complete, and all seems well wont be back in the car for a while yet as i have a pedal box and engine to rebuild 1st. As i went along with the project the spec changed as i found more out so the above posts are now inaccurate, the spec is as below. the project evolved over the time to what the finished article now is.

Ratios are now 1st 3.36 2nd 1.81 3rd 1.26 4th 1 5th .82 so all gears are increased not just 1st. as stated before the diff will be changed to 3.54 which will give the desired 2nd gear speed.

If you are thinking of attempting this yourself, do but bear in mind there are a few tools required, you will need a 2 leg puller to remove 5th gear off the layshaft ( i had to grind mine down to fit under the cog) you will then need snap ring pliers (not circlip) they dont seem to be available, i had to make my own, you will need a hefty set of circlip pliers to remove some of the bearing circlips (not cheap) you will then need a press to remove everything from the main shaft ( i had the use of a 50 ton press at work) if you want to change the layshaft/ gear cluster to 2.8 v6 spec and get the raise in gearing that goes with it, you will need to shorten the input shaft. I had this done at an engineering shop we use at work, in his words the shaft was hard as feck ! so wasnt the easiest thing to turn down.

The use of the press made things a lot easier.

now the cost

New layshaft £49

Layshaft bush £40

layshaft bearing £34.99

uprated 2.8 v6 laygear and in put shaft £199

Gasket and seal kit £15

input shaft front bearing £36.50

main shaft rear bearing £29

mainshaft front needle roller bearing £12.50

layshaft rear bearing £69

£484.99

As you can see not a cheap rebuild but the box is now better than new. In theory good for high mileage and power without problems. it would also have cost me a lot more to buy one done, all in all it has been a really enjoyable rebuild with a few challenges along the way. good luck if you try it yourself.

Edited by DanE
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Gearbox number 2 is now being rebuilt, just need to find a new 3rd gear as its in fragments in the gearbox. the rest of the gearbox is in really good condition so well worth a rebuild.

Last time i did this it took a while to strip, this one was in bits very quickly and having my own press made it even easier...

time to search ebay for another broken box for spares... then order the heavy duty 2.8 v6 lay gears and away we go

• Like 1

You can do a type 9 without a press, don't worry. I made do with an old skool (ie. metal) Black & Decker workmate and a soft-faced mallet or piece of wood coupled with lump hammer.... and something soft and cushion-y for the bits to fall on ;)

I've got various videos of the strip-down if anyone ever gets stuck. Type 9's are real easy to work with. Biggest groan was making a pair of bearing levers, and cutting some metal to extend my bearing puller long enough to pull 5th off the main shaft (as Dan said above)...

If you up grade the 2.0l box to 2.8 you do unfortunately need a press to get the layshaft in as it has a press on bush to adapt it to the larger bearing. Standard box you can get away with it but like always the correct tools make life easy. The major problem tool for me was snap ring (horseshoe clip) pliers very expensive to buy so I modified a set of broken circlip pliers.