Yoko Ado8R Tyres

Guest lotusPaul

Live axles are perfectly fine for putting torque down. Look at dragsters using 10 link rear axle locating bars, infact running them square with minimal camber change gives close to 100% availability of contact patch. This kind of setup eliminates adjustability to tyre pressures, keeps things simple.

Anyway,if your still looking for another option Nankang Econex NA-1 are good all rounders with good wet grip. And NS-2R from same are r888r equivalent.

Both ive tried and when i need new i will be buying them. A set for dry and a set for wet.Credibility comes from being a control tyre in many different championships across the globe.

I have not long come back from a lotus trackday at goodwood, next is castle coombe at end of the month. There will be a few people trying new trackday orientated compounds. Ill report on thier findings afterwards if it helps.

Thanks Paul, duly noted. My local "man who can" thinks he can get R1Rs at a favourable price, and in chatting with him, he didn't rate the AD08's in quite the same league (from experience)... so it might be that R1Rs are back on the cards now if the price is right...

I ended up with r1r's by default (They were on the wheels i brought) and have to say they are very impressive Get hardly any wheelspin once warm (Prada's spun in 1st, 2nd and on occasions 3rd) not push them in cornering yet due the my little mishap lol.

Sounds like you've already disregarded a lot of good options/already on very decent rubber. May I be controversial and suggest maybe driving style needs adapting? :crazy: My suggestion if you're set on tyres is to go wider.

My kit has 232lbft (200 from 1750rpm) and with my lowly Toyo Proxes, will spin the wheels in 1st for sure, but in the corners and 2nd its all very controllable to allow me to drive briskly (its a public highway after all ;) ;) lol) Comes down to how you use the loud pedal, its not a switch is it? ;)

Edited by WallerZ

Guest lotusPaul

I hear you, but look at corvettes, live axles for most of thier models,early 7 esque cars including race varients. There have been many in past years. I personaly think live rears break away more evenly and are more forgiving than true irs. Most IRS systems induce more camber under compression too. This is why they tend to grip, grip, grip, LET GO. Probably a symtom of poor geometry to be fair,

Sounds like you've already disregarded a lot of good options/already on very decent rubber. May I be controversial and suggest maybe driving style needs adapting? :crazy: My suggestion if you're set on tyres is to go wider.

It's not that there's anything wrong with the R888s other than they're just too old (07 date code!) so it's time to replace them... reality is, the R888s were originally on a competition car and were backup tyres for on-event. They no longer need to serve that purpose, and the Zero will spend 90% of it's time on the road, so they're a little extreme for my use. So I think something like a premium-brand road sport tyre with acceptable wet performance is probably a better direction.

I don't need or buy in to the whole wider tyres thing, and besides, that would necessitate new rims ;)

Last trackday I did 2 mx5 were there, great handling cars I've had one. The stylus and it's old live axle was quicker by some margin through the corners. Even my mate with his galanza 308hp turbo said the stylus was quicker through the bends. So it can't be that bad followed one mx5 for a couple of laps and it was like being on a cool down lap 😁

Guest lotusPaul

Mustang GT500, I think is still fastest live axle car round das ring.

Wider tyres will probably reduce grip due to less pressure on the contact patch and the need to increase pressures as the aspect ratio would have changed.

The technical maths is boring even for me but the end result points to running more toe in, creates more scrub which in turn increases heat and friction to equal grip. Ok it also reduces tyre life.

Incidently on the front you can use this to enhance grip and thus turn in, by reducing toe and a little more caster,you can run less static camber as the caster gives more camber on turn in, the effect of reducing toe means the fronts are not fighting against each other as much and helps with turn in. Back to the rear and on a rwd the opposite is true. The toe in counters the desire for the driving wheels to separate under force,thus stability and traction is achieved. The trick i believe is in the ballance between getting ultimate performance against gain intyre life.

As said previously and ill allude to it, new super sticky tyres are really just potentially a bandaid temporary fix for poor suspension setup, when the tyres are past thier best you will be back to square one and complaining about them.

Slightly off track i know but I think a grasp of the fundamental knowledge is always worth keeping in mind when buying tyres, they have alot to do.