Fuelparts Lamda Sensor And A Superspec With Mems

Guest jwts

Hi.

I have a 2004 SuperSpec kit with the T-series Rover 2ltr engine and MEMS ECU - and a FuelParts lamda sensor.

The sensor has a label that says it should not be used with a MEMS ECU but RH says it will work if you earth it directly to the battery.

Has anyone got a FuelParts sensor to work successfully (passed SVA and maybe MOT) with a MEMS ECU and Rover 2ltr?

If its a real bugger or very borderline I think I would rather spend an extra £65 and get a proper Rover spec lamda sensor designed for the MEMS ECU.

Any info very much appreciated.

Regards,

John (jwts)

My Superspec had a general purpose LAMBDA and passed SVA at an amazing 0.0%

I sourced my sensor from ..Lambda

Also as I have stated in other threads on advice I used screened leads to LAMBDA from the plug near the alternator.

The use of a screened cable ensures electrical pick up from items like the alternator is minimized, various other threads have had problems without screen leads

Typically you need 4-wire Universal Zirconia Lambda Sensor for MEMS.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mine passed SVA (just) back in 2005 with the RHS Fuelparts sensor (the part number on mine was for a Ford). But it would not pass the first MOT that I have just had done. It was only just over the limit but still a fail. I fitted an NTK that is specifically for the Rover engine and it passed easily. I got mine from the local motor factors (£45ish)

John

Mine passed SVA (just) back in 2005 with the RHS Fuelparts sensor (the part number on mine was for a Ford). But it would not pass the first MOT that I have just had done. It was only just over the limit but still a fail. I fitted an NTK that is specifically for the Rover engine and it passed easily. I got mine from the local motor factors (£45ish)

John

John,

What is the part number for the NTK sensor? I've tried three places (local parts shop, motor factors and online) for a MEMS compatible lambda sensor and they all want £65 (give or take £3).

Regards,

John (jwts).

My Superspec had a general purpose LAMBDA and passed SVA at an amazing 0.0%

I sourced my sensor from ..Lambda

Also as I have stated in other threads on advice I used screened leads to LAMBDA from the plug near the alternator.

The use of a screened cable ensures electrical pick up from items like the alternator is minimized, various other threads have had problems without screen leads

Typically you need 4-wire Universal Zirconia Lambda Sensor for MEMS.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tony,

The reply from Mellors55 confirms what I suspected. The universal one will work when everything is new (engine, spark plugs, cat, lambda sensor, etc) and connections are perfect but after a year or so things change, the cat becomes just a little less efficient, spark plugs foul a little, there are slightly more misfires, the sensor itself is dirty, etc, and the setup drifts beyond the ability of the universal lambda sensor + ECU to control it. This was why I asked about later MOTs. When something only just works when it is new Sod's law dictates it is more likely to get worse rather than better as it ages :) .

Regards,

John (jwts).

Presumably not all Lambda sensors have the same scale output. Why should they? We don't expect any other sender to be universal. Petrol sender, oil pressure sensor, temperature gauge sensor, air flow meter, MAP, TPS. All have to be calibrated to the relevant gauge or ECU. Why should a Lambda be any different. It does seem obvious to buy the correct one for the ECU. Or am I just being a twat? (No need to answer!)

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just to end this thread cleanly - I bought an NTK sensor (inspired by Mellors55's reply). It cost me just over £50 but at least I know it is correct for the engine and the ECU.

Now I just need the fuel pump to work. The usual hoodie story, two steps foward, one and half steps back...

Thanks for all the input/advice.

John (jwts),