Uk To Ban Sale Of Petrol And Diesel Cars

theduck

I'll only be 55 when the ban comes in on the sale of new cars. They will continue selling petrol for a long time after that I imagine, but its feasible I'll see the end of petrol too. Still, here's hoping we get manufacturers properly working on HICE now.

Has any of our members yet converted an RH to electric or hybrid?

Westfield produced an electric version as an experiment. They made the iRacer but also a standard looking Westfield.

Dragon Electric Vehicles have been pushing their electric cars for a while and has a fully electric Vindicator.

There is also a chap out in the Bahamas that is building an electric Westfield at the moment for sprinting I think.

I am sure there are many others.

Hydrogen ICE Stuart? Almost impossible to keep "bottled" --- Merc did a hydrogen fuelled car some years back -- if a wiff of gas was detected ALL the windows opened.

Could be stored as a liquid at minus 243*C -- would then take the place of air con -- but energy required to liquefy ?

Government will make us all ride BICYCLES -- worst case.

Edited by florin metal works

Guest lotusPaul

I think we would have enougth collective brain power on this forum to come up with a 100% electric RH, question would be on its refinement and power consumption thus range.

Not sure on final bill but defo not close to £2M..

Diesel is far better fuel in calorific content so why are the car manufacturers not concentrating on the removal of the nitrogen oxide from the exhaust? Electric cars are only efficient at point of use, every energy conversion is less than 100% efficient so fuel burnt (or captured from wind/sun ) convert to electricity/ transformer & distribution/convert to D,C & then chemical (battery) storage- return to electrical energy & FINALLY turn the wheels with the electric motor which may be 70% efficient.

• Like 1

Maybe a bit off topic, but I recently had the emissions fix done on my Golf.....ostensibly to reduce/remove the amount of nitrogen oxide.

Some interesting results that I will be taking back to the dealers as they scare me.

1. Severe loss of torque below 2k

2. Sudden Increase in torque at 2k

3. Engine runs at same temp (90deg) but fan is on far more often.

4. Round town mpg has gone from 45 to 62, same routes, same driving style.

5. Car is jerky trying to crawl in traffic in 1st or 2nd.

6. Following Ray towing the Corvette door to door Orpington to Northampton 55-60 mph 72 mpg there, 74 mpg return

7. Following Ray towing the Corvette door to door Orpington to North Weald 55-60 mph 92 mpg there, 87 mpg return.

These are overall figures, not best consumption seen at any one point.

Anyone else think they have leaned it off a tad too much?

As a confirmed sceptic, I had it on a RR the day before the fix, so I have an independent assessment of BHP & torque that we can argue about.

Plan B is my favourite chip tuner, who has confirmed he has seen a big increase in VWs coming in to be rectified by chipping after the "Fix",

and has a ready made map and some additional hardware mods.

Watch this space.

what has happened to the worlds governments at the moment they seem to just say something random and see what happens and then deny they ever said it. Funny how Corbyn cleared up that he was never going to actually get rid of student debt. Wonder if the students would be so keen to vote for him now. Same with Brexit and the 350 million that got bounced around. Will have to wait and see if this actually comes to fruition.

If there truly is a problem with air pollution how is banning petrol/diesel cars in 20+ years time going to help??? Surely this should be 5 years at the most. Besides which if they are hybrids they will still have petrol/diesel engines.

Don't think this is going to be problem for a while though so i won't be worrying about it.

I am actually quite keen on electric and by chance I actually had a look to see what was about the other day as a donor for an electric kit and i could have bought an old citreon berlingo electric for £1400 on ebay (prices will probably go up for the next few weeks until people forget)

only has a 25mile range but i wondered how much better it would have been in a little 7 and perhaps a few new batteries.

I watched a bit of formula E the other day and that was really weird as without the engine noise i had little reference as to how fast they were going. of course that's something to think about... the amount of people saved from air pollution vs the amount of people run over by almost silent electric cars whilst crossing the road!

Guest lotusPaul

Years ago,decades were talking, was it Brasil that went to Alcohol fueled cars?

Lets not forget we can convert to lpg, veg oil etc. The combustion engine is not dead.

I have thought out loud for a while that only reason we have fuel as we know it is because its easy to tax.

So we could have a bio fueled generator providing electrical power to motors, or use hamster wheels!!

When we all have electric 'Hoodies' - what good use could the exhaust be put to?

Storage for cans of coke? Running board? Home for a speaker to play exhaust noises to warn pedestrians of our approach? .......

I still have my s7 chassis to build, how about i make it electric? Remembering of course i know little about electricary.

Sounds like the basis for many projects! How hard can it be?! What could go wrong?! Lol, crack on I say!

Edited by WallerZ

Guest lotusPaul

Back when i was a regular visitor to the Pod in my younger years, a guy had a vw bug using 2 motors directly to back wheels. One per side. This gave loads of room for batteries and capacitors. I think he was using milk float motors too.

Anyway it may have been crude, but that bug could haul its self down that strip.

Memory is a little shy on it but i know it was quick.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/green-motoring/9997563/Convert-your-classic-car-to-battery-power.html

Edited by lotusPaul