Collecting My Rh2B This Week...but..

Guest cpbrad

Friend or not, I'd walk away until he gets it registered. 5k for a minefield that could see it taken by the plod and a hefty fine driving home and you'll be crying at the lost cash. I don't think he's trying to rip you off, just simply fallen into the same trap you're about to, at least he's admitted it'll need an IVA.

Depending on how close a friend he is, I'd work with him to get it tested and registered correctly. Whether thats knocking the costs of the current price or he covers the material/test costs. Eitherway, you could be in for a cracking car or a rough and expensive ride!

He has lost interest over the years and just wants rid (hence the so called low price) I do trust him, but its a lot of money for me when I am trusting in someone else

A fairly accurate way of determining what a car is worth is to add up the cost of everything and then half it. You generally don't get your money back when you sell a kit you built yourself. Plenty of 2B's have been advertised in excess of £8k but I doubt if many of them sell for that.

Unfortunately a lot of the £8k will be labour, which adds diddly to the value of the car.

It could well be the best 2b ever built. but its a hell of a gamble if it turns out that the IVA inspector thinks it needs a lot of work doing, and even the very best built cars can fall foul of an IVA inspector having a bad day.

• Like 1

Nearly five grand on a pinto. Hope that produces a lot of horsepower. Are all the build photos included, I am sure the iva man will want to see them. I paid 2300 pound for a correctly registered series 7 with a redtop engine producing about 160 horsepower. Granted it was (and still is) a bit tatty but at least I didn't have to worry about getting my collar felt for having an illegal car. If he had run into somebody and the insurance company had found that it wasnt correctly tested he would have got nothing and the same for the person he hit. Walk away, there are plenty of good cars about elsewhere. They often come up on this forum and the beauty of it is that several people can often vouch for their history.

You don't have to fall out with him over it just tell him that this isn't the way you want to start out in kit cars. You will find plenty of things to tinker with without this extra hassle

Guest lotusPaul

As a very experienced kit builder id say you have a number of options in light of this news.

1, walk away. Head over heart as wife would say but she is correct. It could go thro IVA and pass first time, more than likely not (will appologize if proved incorect) and then you have the cost to re work it and re test.

2. Ask seller to test and correctly register it. then agree a price bassed on the cost.

3. Look elsewhere, like on this forum. For that money i expect you to easily get a correctly registered robin maybe with a nicely setup zetec.

Ask NMS what thier opinions of the car are, find as much info on it as possible first. Try to gather the facts about what was done, why it was needed etc. Your choice off course, but id walk personally.

As a very experienced kit builder id say you have a number of options in light of this news.

1, walk away. Head over heart as wife would say but she is correct. It could go thro IVA and pass first time, more than likely not (will appologize if proved incorect) and then you have the cost to re work it and re test.

2. Ask seller to test and correctly register it. then agree a price bassed on the cost.

3. Look elsewhere, like on this forum. For that money i expect you to easily get a correctly registered robin maybe with a nicely setup zetec.

Ask NMS what thier opinions of the car are, find as much info on it as possible first. Try to gather the facts about what was done, why it was needed etc. Your choice off course, but id walk personally.

Thanks for your advice.

I have spoke with them already and his advice was much the same as you guys. Steve from NMS was so helpful (top bloke) he found all the info he could for me and gave it all to me within a matter of hours. He explained the potential complications with the year of the build and if i were to try and get in tested this year and how they do it for a living and sometimes miss bits. He said it certainly isn't worth what the seller believes it is and that that it is likely to be more hassle than its worth.

Im going to try out option 2 and ill let you guys know how i get on.

I've been on a lot of car and bike forums over the years and you guys are by far the best!

At 5k run away if it's not correctly registared. You say it's at the top end of your budget IVA and registration is best part 1k and that's assuming it passes and dosent need major work to get it to IVA spec. Sit tight and watch piston heads etc a decent registared car will come up. If you buy it you will be making a very expensive mistake! 5k is way to much for an unregistered 2b

Edited by DanE

So i have informed the guy I will not be making the purchase.

He has dropped the price as he needs the space.. I may go for it and risk it. He tells me he has gone over the car with a fine tooth comb and that he honestly believes it will go straight through!

I have a week to decide.

Watch this space.

As you aren't a member you cant read it, but there is a build thread on here from a member and it is one of the most meticulous builds I have ever seen. I have seen the car in person and commented to him there is no way it will fail IVA. It did, twice!

If he was to sell that care honestly on ebay etc, I doubt he would even get £2k. Keep that in mind.

Personally, I'd get him to put it through himself if its so easily going to pass and when it passes IVA then you'll discuss price after that and do the registration yourself.

I'd always question when people say it'll pass no problem. IVA or MOT. If it will pass so easy, why not do it? Will up the value big time vs cost of doing it!