New Member - Engine Question

Guest Palmario

Guest Palmario

Hi Guys

I'm new to here having just got my hands on an 2b plus rolling chassis and kit. im sure as this is my first build and my only assistance is my 9yr old son this will be my first post of many !!

looking forward to he help an advice from all of you who have experienced similar issues that I am about to.

my first question is about the engine - I may have sourced sierra V6 EFI RWD engine, has anyone had experience of using a similar engine and does it fit ?

Thanks guys

Richard

Richard

Welcome on board. I can't specifically answer your question as I drive a Zero, but on the basis the someone is currently installing a Jaguar V6 in to a 2B chassis I think the answer would be yes. I am sure there will be people far more in the know than me on the subject along in a while. They may be able to advise more on what is required.

Guest Palmario

Thanks for the welcomes and thoughts, im thinking I might give it a go as for the time and work spent, im hoping to get it running and enjoy it before my son passes his test and takes it off me !!

Thanks again

Richard

The V6 EFI is it 2.8 or 2.9? Friends of mine race Sierra Super Rods so have good knowledge of rear wheel drive Cologne V6 in its 2.9 form

You need to source a gearbox, the 2 to look for are the MT75 and Type 9, be aware that both V6 versions designed to mate to the V6 are slightly different to the inline 4 pot variants.

A934A12A-24DB-423A-8195-35AE0D9104A6-1535-000001421D89B24D.jpg

These are the Type 9 differences

Edited by Snapperpaul

I have a Sierra XR4x4 2.9 V6 Cologne engine in my hood. Fitted well with a bit of work mated to a V6 Type 9 Gearbox shall try and upload a photo or 2 to show the fit but it fits well and fairly easy with no modification to the chassis.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Palmario

Hi guys thanks for all your replys and welcomes. With your advice Ibe managed to get hold of a v6 cologne from a Granada, Im sure it's 2.8 but the seller seems to "think" it's 2.3. Now on the search for a gearbox to mate with it, a few options on eBay and I have my eye on a type 9 v6 gearbox. There are a few 4x4 gearboxes available too, has anyone converted one ? Thanks for the pics Chrisruck can't wait for mine to get to that stage, a lot of work to be done yet though.

Thanks again guys

Guest 2b cruising

Hii and welcome Richard.

How can you definitely tell the difference between 2.3 and 2.8. I know the difference between the BOA,BOB and the Collogne, but not the 2.3 I don't even know if they use the same block but with different crank and Pistons.

Last year I was bidding on a completely self built caterham copy.

He had completely stripped and rebuilt the Cossworth 2.9 v6 and up rated it to 300 bhp.

He used a 4x4 gearbox that he modified along with the engine.

This means, to my envious mind that yes it can be done.

It apparently leads to a much stronger gearbox that can take the punishment handed out to it.

I also know the MT75 is designed to take up to 300 BHP as standard. However with this box the bell housing is part of the gearbox casting. Therefore care is needed in mating restrictions.

I personally am looking at Vauxhall engines. Same power as standard v6 Cossie but lots cheaper to mod to 240 BHP than the 6's. Modified turbo and injectors can map it to 280/300 BHP. Also much lighter in the chassis.

Hope all this is of some or even a little help to you.

Regards. Ken.

Guest Palmario

Hi Ken, yes lots of help thanks, any advice, experience or thoughts are a great deal of help at the moment this being my first and so early on in the project. I take it you didn't win the cater ham copy then ? At least i know it can be done now .... How is a totally different matter !! All good fun though.

Thanks again

Richard

The 2.3 is a Cologne engine and very similar to the 2.8 (mainly it's just the bore and stroke that are different). They don't really make much more power than a 2.0 4-pot and they are quite a bit heavier so whether it's worth the effort is debatable but your choice.

Gearboxes....

There are two families of gearbox that will easily fit a Cologne engine, these are the type-9 and the MT75 which have already been mentioned. Both come in 2wd and 4wd versions and 4-cyl and V6 versions so off the shelf there are four of each. The MT75 has a fifth version in the Scorpio diesel - that's of interest...... I'm also limiting this to cars, Transits are another kettle of fish.

It's possible to use a 4-cyl type-9 with a V6 bell-housing and an extension on the input shaft. I've never fancied the idea myself but it does seem to work. Why would you want to? well it's historically been fairly easy to get hold of 4x4 V6 type-9 boxes so if you could "yoink" the bell-housing off one and use the more comonly available 4-cyl box then it's easier than finding a V6 2wd one. The type-9 has "better" ratios than the MT75. They are OK-ish up to about 200bhp but the power and torque of a BOA or BOB V6 can be a bit much for them - some last some don't.

MT75 - not so easy to mix and match 4-cyl and V6 boxes due to the bellhousing being an integral part of the main casing. What tends to happen is people build a "hybrid" box. The 2.5 diesel Scorpio also used an MT75, the bell-housing is different again to the 4 and 6 cylinder petrol engines but the input shaft is long. That means that you can take the bell-housing/maincase from a V6 4x4 gearbox and fairly simply stick it onto a diesel gearbox. The diesel box also has a taller 5th gear so the resulting box will give more relaxed cruising and a higher theoretical top speed.

Using a 4x4 box complete may be do-able. In theory the epicyclic that gives the torque split front to rear could be welded up solid to give an output to the rear with no frot prop-shaft. You would then need to fill in the hole where the front prop goes to stop the oil draining out of the box. But Hoods are generally short on room in the transmission tunnel anyway and even the Sierra needed a bulge adding to accomodate the extra lump of the 4x4 box so whether it would fit or not is a big question.

Not necessarily all the options but some food for thought.

Iain

Guest Palmario

Hi Iain thanks to the masses of information in your post, defiantly a great deal of food for thought. At least there are a few options for me to go at. I'll have a look around see what I can find

Thanks again

Richard