Which Donor

Knock-on

Just doing some winter day dreaming and was wondering what people have used for different Donors.

Yep, we know about Sierra's and MX5's etc but who's used anything a bit different.

Beemers, MR2s, Hondas, Jags etc.

Any that are better for Donor parts over others?

BMW seem to be a favourite with the likes of Dax, with the Rush, and GKD with the Legend. The Dax with the straight 6, 3.0lt, M seies engine in was pretty tasty. The Honda S2000 is also now starting to become a favourite with Westfield and there are a couple of Zero's with the S2000 lump fitted. This gives around 250bhp out of the box!

Bmws engines will be too tall for the 2b. My 1.8 316 engine is already on an angle to fit so a 2b would no doubt be too low or you'll have an engine for a view.

The subframe for the rear could be a goer though.

In the new year i am hoping to have a go at building a subframe for the rear based on the 'build your own' haynes book as i already have the sierra setup.

pretty much anything is possible though with time and a welder :)

Not too worried about Sub-frame as going double wishbone on the rear,

I'm trying to think of a Donor where I can rip out Diff, Gearbox, Front and Rear brakes, Steering, Engine and anything else that might be used. It needs to be light and capable of producing over 175 BHP without much effort or preferably out of the box.

Now, that's quite a lot to ask for so just speculating at this stage :)

I've got a 160bhp Honda Super Blackbird bike engine under my hood. Sequential gear box, no reverse, top speed of 90mph. 0-60 about 4.5ish. 570Kg without me. It gives a lot of smiles per mile. Only down side is 11mpg, but that might have a little to do with screaming the nuts off it everywhere.

Absolutely no fun on the motorway or for any journeys over 50 miles as the 20L tank would need a refill. As something to take out and thrash the nuts off , it takes a lot of beating. In fact, the only thing I've lost a race to was a £330k Carrera GT, but then £10k against £330k, you'd hope that would be the case!

Guest mcramsay

My marlin uses the e36 3 series front suspension and e39 5 series for the rest of it... The suspension is fine but when it comes to reusing any electronics from the donor forget it. The stalk switches don't switch relays they feed Into the light control ecu... So they are useless!

• 4 weeks later...

Few interesting ideas.

Has anyone been stupid enough to look at a RX8?

Saw Richard at Autosport and we discussed the virtues of the Zero over the Hood. Although the Hood looks more like the 2B, the technology is closer to the Zero so things like the lower suspension all round is the same. It's a coin flip at the moment :)

So, the Chassis is down to a choice of 2 and this year will be about deciding on a Donor, procuring it, stripping and reconditioning parts and expanding my build area ready for commencement next year.