Sva Fail

Guest Phil_h

Hi Guys,

Well just back from my SVA at Beverley. It was a fail :( but they were only lots of little points with the odd contriversial one :) . I wasn't expecting to pass my daughter had to gointo hospital at the weekend so I didn't get to do the trimming and finishing off. Still she's ok now. :D

Just want to say a big thanks to everyone in the club for all the help and in some case parts :D . If anyone is reading this who isn't a member of the club then get signed up the help and support you recieve is invaluable so excellent value for money at £15 (of you see what I mean)

Anyway the SVA. Late night last night trying to fit all the trimming into one night :D and an early start this morning. When I got up at 5.45 it was pouring down but as look would have it stopped as I rolled the car out of the garage door. It was foggy and lots of spray so my nice clean car is now an absoulte mess :D

Got to the SVA centre in good time the drive over was fine apart from still running hot. My eximanier was a nice guy who didn't go overboard in the pickier areas of the SVA, explained all my fails in detail and what he wanted done to put them right. From some of the reports on here sounds like I got a good one :D

The failures :-

N/S/F Indicator insecure - Sorry bill one of the little grub screws came out on the way to the test :wub: I find another one and sort this out.

Brake Pipe unsupported at Master cylinder. My original pip wasn't long engough so I made an extension. Just wants the extension clipping.

Fuel pipes insecure around engine. As he put it a bit flappy. Just wants them clipping and securing a bit more.

ECU control unit insecure. :wub: Another bracket I think.

Dashboard lower edge. Didn't like my pipe. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Fog warning lamp too low. 230mm instead of 250mm. I new about this one.

Fuel leak top of tank. - Perhaps my most worrying fail in terms of expense. Robin Hood tank first time it was filled up it is leaking from the top weld. Do you think I'll get a replacement out of them ?

Seat belt upper harness upper anchorage provide evidence of strength brace with steel welded round. Didn't like side welded supports.

Brake Pedal Fould on Bulkhead. Too much travel in the pedal.

Engine mounts lower support - fit bigger washers.

front suspension strut incorrectly located (resding on nut of ball joint). Didn't richard say do it like this in the video ? Anyway easy fix.

Front indicators too far inboard.

Emmision outside limit. It only passed its MOT on saturday the were ok then. doh !

Mirror gives no vision to rear. Thats what you get for stick it on at midnight before the SVA. Just make a little plinth.

OS mirror vibrates too much.

Well a long list but nothing major. If anyone has any hints or tips on these then please shout.

Thanks again everyone

Phil

Hi Phil,

Dashboard lower edge is a common one, the rest are just the normal niggles. Re the fuel tank, you could try the 'fuel tank repairer' it comes in 2 parts and you mix them together to make a grey plastaseen. I wouldn't count on RH fixing the tank for you :D

thats not too bad a list Phil.

most are easy fixes, as Guy says i don't think you should rely on RH to repair/replace your tank at the moment.

its not under pressure so you could go with either petro-patch or chemical metal along and around the weld to seal it

good luck with the fixes

Steve

Hi Phil,

sorry to hear you failed but it's still a very good result! It's a bit worrying that the fuel tank leaks - I've got a RH one as well but it seems to be ok (filled it right up on Monday and no dribbles yet). It shouldn't take you long to work through that list. Best of luck with the retest!

Edward

Guest FIRSTBUILD

I filled my RH tank for the first time and it leaked from one of the welds (app 2years ago) so I sent it back and they repaired it FOC and returned it.

Might be worth a try.

Steve

Hard lines Phil,

Still, not too much to be disheartened about.

When you get time, I'd be particularly interested in how you resolved the following three items (pics would be good):

1. Brake Pipe unsupported at Master cylinder?

2. Seat belt upper harness upper anchorage points?

3. Engine mounts lower support ??

No rush of course - You've got more important thigs to see to.

Good luck for next time.

Thank for all the ideas guys :D

Grizzly

I get some pics up when I do the work no prob. But here is what the SVA guys told me to do.

1. Brake Pipe unsupported at Master cylinder?

This is the bend round the firewall corner to the master cylinder. I have my electric cables running around the adge of the firewall so thats why it hangs in the air a little. Anyway the guys said just take a bracket from the firewall and clip it.

2. Seat belt upper harness upper anchorage points?

Whilst a pain in the backside for having to do it in the first place its an easy one and if it helps if anything goes wrong then well worth it. What he would like to see is a piece of flat iron shaped over the tube and welded in place to provide extra support.

3. Engine mounts lower support ??

My washers on the lower engine mount are too small they are going into the hole in the chassis.

Phil