Floor Strengthening And Seat Mounts On A 2b

Guest smartfazer

Guest smartfazer

Sorry for this topic again, but I have done a search and can't find quite the information and/or photo's that I need.

I intend to fit some 25" x 25" Angle across the underside of the floor panel for the front seat mount and am wondering about the best way to secure this to the side chassis rails at either side.

How have people done this? Have you just drilled through the chassis and bolted at either end? Does this not weaken the chassis tubes?

Does anybody have any photo's that they are willing to show?

I am fearful that Mr IVA Man will not like Angle iron projections beneath the car and/or 10mm holes drilled through the chassis.

The rear fitment seems more straight forward as I will attach some "Angle" to the cross member mounting plates.

If anybody has any photo's they can share, it will as always, be very appreciated.

Steve.

PS: I have the new 2B chassis with the Handbrake fitted to the top tubes/transmission tunnel. Not that it will make any difference to the seat fitting etc,. ;)

Did ours the other way - 4 peices of 2" x 1" channel inside car from seat back angle to round chassis tube across car (welded ears to tube ) then 2 x 8mm H/T bolts at each end; sit each seat on channel where-ever you like, may be even put in runners so they are adjustable for your misses, keeps the under side clean & stronger in the direction of load, downside some say,seat is raised by 1".

Guest kleighton

Am I right in saying it all depends on how your harnesses are secured ? If your harnesses are secured to the seat then the seat supports (angle) needs to be secured to the chassis ? If your harnesses are not secured to the seat then a couple of large washers will suffice for the seat mounts ? I've read somewhere that someone has just a couple of large washers to secure the front seat bolts.

I've got my harnesses secured to angle that is welded to the chassis, and the rear seat bolts are secured to the same angle. My front seat supports are secured to angle under the floor pan but this is not bolted to or welded to the chassis.

Not sure if this is right, I may need to re-address, but it's my understanding.

Hope that makes sense,

Thanks

Keith

On my superspec, the IVA examiner wanted increased strength too. I ran a length of angle iron across, with welded 'L's on each end. Then bolted the 'L's to the chassis. On the superspec there is some flat plate which was ideally situated (used for the outer seatbelt bolts. I wanted to be able to take the support off so didn't want to weld directlly to the chassis). The examiner was really happy with it - no problems with the angle iron projections, although I did put some trim on the edges of the 'L's just in case.

Guest smartfazer

Thanks all,

Keep the replies coming and photo's, if you have them.

Harvs, I'm not sure what you mean about the "L" pieces.

I would love to get the Mig Welder out, but the chassis is powder coated and I don't want to ruin the finish, if I can help it.

Steve

Mine is just like your suggestion. 25x25 angle across the complete car width, big self tappers on the ends into the chassis and bolted into the returns ( double thickness ) at bottom of the tunnel. .

rock solid !

Graham B

I didn't want to have anything sticking down under the car, so I've used 25 x 25 box running across the car in 2 places under the seat. Obviously this would bend once it's got 2 seats and a couple of bums on top of it so I then boxed this back up to the tunnel top tubes either side of the prop.

I also ran a couple more pieces longitudinally between the 2 cross pieces to stiffen it all up. The disadvantage is that it does make the bottom of the tunnel quite wide but the whole thing is very strong, the prop is enclosed by something substantial should that fail (like it no doubt will) and in the corner between the vertical piece and the longitudinal piece, I've fabricated a substantial mount for the inner seatbelt bolt. It's all stainless and welded in place - and the floor sheet is rivetted on underneath.

It's a but difficult to describe but if you look here http://www.oldschoolannexe.com/photos/inde...p?album=%2F0000 and see photos 16 to 19, 26 to 29 and 31 to 34 it might make a bit more sense.

Guest smartfazer

Richy,

Very impressive set of photographs, and very helpful.

Did you weld the front rail to the chassis?

I don't want to go this route i.e. welding, if I don't have to as I don't want to mess up the powder coating.

Steve

Yes, I welded some plates on the end of the box section that were vertical but then the top edge rolled round to match the profile of the chassis tube and welded all round the plates.

I suppose you could make up a similar assembly of crossmembers and then bolt them in place but as my chassis is just plain stainless, welding seemed the quicked option.