Mating Zetec To Type 9 Box

Guest whiz

Hi Im busy getting everything ready to fit my blacktop zetec into my S7 which has a tpye 9 box. does anyone have a clue as to which flywheel & clutch kit to use I have at this moment 2.0l flywheel & Clutch also i have the pinto flywheel & Clutch. any help would be greatfull

Andy

alrite Andy?

I am currently doing the same thing (black top). I retained the 2.0 flywheel and clutch assembly (cost reasons). I fitted a spigot bearing into the centre of the flywheel for the type 9 input shaft to rest on. Alsoo i have a ford transit diesel 2.4/2.5 clutch release bearing (cct303).

if do use the 1.8 zetec flywheel (weight advantage) you would need a ford capri release bearing (cct133). Also the standard clutch kit for the 1.8 zetec can be used

Hope that helps

femi

Mine's got a Tiger lightened flywheel drilled for the pinto clutch. Works well in practice but depends on your budget and what bits of clutch etc you have knocking around to look at an overall cost to change. Current cost on Tiger website is £139 but not sure whether they drill them for the pinto clutch now......

Andy

alrite Andy?

I am currently doing the same thing (black top). I retained the 2.0 flywheel and clutch assembly (cost reasons). I fitted a spigot bearing into the centre of the flywheel for the type 9 input shaft to rest on. Alsoo i have a ford transit diesel 2.4/2.5 clutch release bearing (cct303).

if do use the 1.8 zetec flywheel (weight advantage) you would need a ford capri release bearing (cct133). Also the standard clutch kit for the 1.8 zetec can be used

Hope that helps

femi

Do you need to fit the spigot bearing? I dont think I put one in. Just a new fork and release bearing.

Graham

Guest The Modfather

You need the spigot bearing otherwise the input shaft has no support apart from the clutch plate. If you take hold of the input shaft you'll find there's a fair bit of play, and you'll see why the bearing is critical.

Yes, you can use the 2.0 clutch and flywheel, but the 1.8 is nearly 2kg lighter. Pinto starter will not fit either, you need either a 1.8 CVH starter, a 2.0 DOHC starter, or the Lucas LR707 (check this number on here).

I got a 1.8 flywheel 2nd hand of ebay for £10 and a brand new complete clutch for £30. You will need the release bearing CCT133, about £9. Make sure your g/box is not the V6 model otherwise you need a spacer between the box and the bellhousing.

HTH

Darren

yes Andy, you can use the standard flywheel and clutch with those parts.

Graham, i have been informed the tha spoigot bearing at the end of the cranks helps centralise the input shaft and prevents the wear on the end of the crank and input shaft. I would not think it matters too much if you have not fitted it. if the release bearing is ok and everything is centrally located and no movements then it should be ok. i think.

Guest Chutney

I didn't know what the spigot bearing was for until I asked on here. Having had the flywheel off and fitted one i would say for the sake of a few quid it's as critical as putting petrol in the car.

Guest jusycom

I also kept mine standard 2.0 litre clutch and flywheel , put spiggot bearing in and clutch release bearing and away i went , i use my car every day now for work ( yes even in this weather ) and the clutch is nice and light and car drives effortless with set up . Can't see point in spending loads of money with lightened flywheel then having to redrill and mod everything ,this is when you get problems better to keep things standard in my eyes.

Cheers justin .

Guest Chutney

Have to agree, whilst I understand that a lightened flywheel is easier to spin up/ slow down, it needs abit of weight to keep engine momentum or you'll be burning fuel to do the same job.

Guest mower man

yes Andy, you can use the standard flywheel and clutch with those parts.

Graham, i have been informed the tha spoigot bearing at the end of the cranks helps centralise the input shaft and prevents the wear on the end of the crank and input shaft. I would not think it matters too much if you have not fitted it. if the release bearing is ok and everything is centrally located and no movements then it should be ok. i think.

You must like replacing g/boxes ,clutches,to having to put up with noise ,vibration,clutch judder etc if the spigot brg was not necc why would manufacturers fit it? Its aMUST mower man

• 2 weeks later...

Spiggot bearing is a must. Release bearing can be got around with a tricky chop and re-weld on the release arm but it's really not worth it. I only did it because I didn't have the release bearing handy and wanted to refit the engine that day.