Differential Breather

Guest Paul94

Guest Paul94

Hi all,

Just started a Zero build. This is my first build and first post on this forum, so excuse the dumb questions.

The diff is now in place, but I have noticed in other blogs that some diffs have small breather pipes, but mine does not. Is this a problem?

Some Photo's attached

Many thanks

Paul94

http://paul94-gbs-zero-build.blogspot.co.uk/

post-10478-0-87862500-1344158048_thumb.jpg

post-10478-0-54302600-1344158049_thumb.jpg

Guest mower man

there should be 4/5"of small dia pipe inthe black bung in your photos if it becomes blocked it's possible to get hot enough to blow the seals [rare but poss ] and road dirt can enter diff too [rare ] other than that I would say yes youneed the breather mower man

as mower man says, there should be a short length of pipe attached, but they tend to get broken off in transit.

you could try and get a replacement from ford.

GBS make an alloy replacement which pushes in after removing the plastic bit, and you add a short length of fuel hose.

and I have seen an adaptation using what’s left of the plastic bit with the addition of a piece of brake pipe, flared at one end, pushed through the hole from inside and bent into a coat hanger hook shape on the outside.

however you do it, remember that the plastic bit has an alignment notch which should be matched with a mark of the casing, as its the shape of the plastic bit inside the diff that prevents the oil coming out.

Guest Paul94

Thanks for your very prompt feedback.

I was very tempted to simply ignore it - I am glad I didn't.

Will speak to GBS to get a replacement and fit whilst I still have easy access.

Thanks again

Paul94

Guest alfaGTA

Might be worth your while to add a catch tank to the end of the vent pipe whist you have access ( i used a water bottle to catch the vapours).......... Saves making a mess and possibly getting black flagged on tracks if you are that way inclined.

Guest mcramsay

i do not think the diff will need any kind of catch tank, i would be surprised if you see any oil coming out of the breather....i dont even have one on my diff! but i give my diff at least until the end of the summer before it blows up, so i dont really care! oil seals are over rated any way :p

i do not think the diff will need any kind of catch tank, i would be surprised if you see any oil coming out of the breather....i dont even have one on my diff! but i give my diff at least until the end of the summer before it blows up, so i dont really care! oil seals are over rated any way :p

Please pin a copy of the above to your dash for when you & Emma are stuck miles from home & it's pi33ing down. :80: :search: