Mx5 Engine Dimensions

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

Can anyone let me know the dimensions of a 1.6 MX5 Engine please

I would like to know the total height, width and length please.

Contemplating buying a runner and stripping it down and putting engine box and rear end under the kitten.

Although I might have to sell the V8 to finance it and create the space or at least put some money back in the piggy bank!

Long time plan so I have time to drive the V8 a bit first! :wacko:

Will take a tape measure to mine tomorrow evening whilst it's still out. Gearbox too?

Mine came from a Eunos Roadster 1.6 1990. £775 and used as a runner for 2 months before taking it apart. Best fun I've had driving a car......until I get my Zero finished!

Hi Tim

Will have a look at mine this evening. 1.8. as it is out of the car at the moment.

I take it you want dimensions including inlet manifold etc, also from bell housing to front pulley?

Hi Tim,

Measured my engine as follows:

length from Crank pulley to bellhousing/ end of block = 480mm approx

Width from inlet manifold to exhaust manifold = 530mm approx

Height from base of sump to oil filler cap = 600mm approx

HTH :db:

Guest Tim Norman

Sweet. It'll fit without too much carving!

Just need a job now to pay for it! Looking to graft whole rear subframe on to the Kitten chassis. I have seen it done on the Internet and it looks fairly simple. Does the MX% have wishbone fronts?

Cheers

Hi Peter/ Tim

Not if you modify the 1.8 as I have done to give better cooling. Blank off the thermostat housing in the front of the block and fit a 1.6 housing to the rear of the block (no thermostat). This ensures good water flow through the block. In standard form the MX5 uses the heater pipes as a rear flow feed (this was done due to space restrictions in the MX5), restricting flow around the block. Therefore with pump and thermostat in front of engine, back of block does not get properly cooled (very similar to the Pinto cooling issue!)

HTH