Jag V6 3.0 Into My 2B

Guest david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

Thought I had may as well start a thread about this as I have essentially started work....

Currently my 2b has a perfectly functioning Pinto 2.1 with bike carbs, mega jolt and fast road cam.

Works perfectly well....but now fancy a radical change and the Jag V6 from the S type is the one that keeps calling my name.

Been looking into this for the best part of the last 12-18 months but not seriously until now.

In an ideal world I would obtain every component that I need before taking anything off the car, but that's not practical

The Pinto and all the ancillary parts have been removed and will be going up for sale to help fund the bits I need

So, whilst I have time I have stripped it all out and started with the clean up of the engine bay and looking at altering the little things like brake master cylinder and other ods and sods....

Here is the existing setup

IMG_3237_zps96852a84.jpg

IMG_3234_zps93935dc4.jpg

Before I removed it I recorded it running

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204829325550551&set=vb.1161146894&type=2&theater

Started last weekend stripping it all off, and this weekend, lifted the motor out

No drama's

IMG_3276_zps192d3fcf.jpg

Just cleaned the existing engine bay up.....so glad that Mitch built this using the Stainless Chassis.....comes up like new with a quick spray of WD40 and a wipe off...love the shiny shiny

IMG_3287_zpseb082bcc.jpg

Will try and keep this updated with photos and other such nonsense.

Lots of things I am still a little unsure on, but figured if I waited until I had worked out every little detail I would never start the project.....

Dave

Guest david_l_perry

Cheers Mitch.....

I will organise a bacon butty session where we can all stand and stare and point at a few things further down the line.....and then realise I have made a huge mistake :D

looking at your last pic i've often wondered if it is safe to cut the plough bar and reposition/bend it slightly higher as it's pretty close to the ground. Mine is lower than my shortened sump by about an inch. would be good to get that ground clearance.

I guess though you might have to do some mods to drop the v6 in.

I remember some people had cracks on the engine mounts on the stainless chassis so if you haven't already just give it a check whilst you can get your head in their. Oh and also on the steering rack mount welds if memory serves me correctly.

Guest david_l_perry

I had the chance to look over another 2B owners car with the same V6 engine (ianjenn). No mods needed to get the engine in, but the sump was changed for the Xtype

I had a good inspection of the engine mounts whilst cleaning it all and all looks well

Its going to be a tight fit and the steering column may need a little tweaking - again all looks well on the steering mounts on the chassis

I will take a much closer look through it all just to make sure

Guest david_l_perry

Looked into this a fair bit. I plan on using the jag gearbox and original sierra diff

We all have different driving requirements I guess as one persons issue is not mine.

My big gripe with the type 9 is the very short 1st gear and short 5th gear. I don't race or hill climb, fast touring is what I like, trips abroad, long journeys....

The jag gearbox using the same sierra diff gives a slightly better 1st and better 5th. 4th is the same but 2nd and third are slightly down.

I want longer legs on the Mway for touring. The longer 5th gear and bigger engine will sort that for me.

Ideally I will also use the jag diff, but until I get the donor car, I don't know if it's possible to fit that in place of the sierra diff.

If I can use the jag diff it would be a monster....

Guest david_l_perry

Ok, this is what I have on the gear box ratios based upon using the type 9, then using the Jag, then using the Jag with bigger wheels, and then using the Jag box and diff

The Sierra Diff on mine is the standard 3.62 ratio

The Jag Diff ratio I have been told is a 3.07 ratio

jaggearboxratio_Page_1_zps9ea2cf29.jpeg

Guest david_l_perry

Very exciting times....(not really)

More of a, oh crap no turning back moment.....

Sold my engine and gearbox and its all being picked up tomorrow by a geezer fairly local to me.

IMG_3296_zps938227fd.jpg

He's replacing his 1.6 pinto with my 2.1 pinto into a Locost (I think)....

Will make massive difference to his car....but a bigger difference to mine....as now I don't have an engine...or gearbox...or anything that makes broom broom noises

I was at my brothers this weekend with one of the other chaps we do the France road trip run....

My brother suddenly chirps up with " hands up all of us going to France who has a car with an engine in it..." needless to say they all put hands up...mine stayed firmly down and sudden realisation that I have a slightly large amount of work ahead of me.... :)

Still, exciting times...I ordered a new engine sump and exhaust manifold from ebay today for the engine that I don't have yet....

Edited by david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

I'm quite excited as tomorrow I go and pick up my Jag V6 Donor car.....assuming its as described, and will be driving it back home to sunny chorley. Full leather trim, full Mot......will run it for a month to make sure engine and gearbox are all good, and then out with the big hammer.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest david_l_perry

Happy days....

Just picked up my Jag today......Bloody great it is to...almost too good to strip out.

Engine and gearbox are fantastic

Picked up from Gateshead, 2.5hour drive on the Mway, very smooth

Got the whole thing for £720 - silly money really

Will drive it for a few weeks before I start the strip out.

jag1_zps940c9def.jpg

jag6_zps0295d814.jpg