Alternator Fitting On 2002 2b

Guest Roberth

Guest Roberth

I have watched the video at it bears no resemblance to my 1989 2ltr gl sierra bracket.

Has anyone any idea how i am soposed to fit the alternator with double wishbone and stainless exhaust options?

I have the same set up on my 2b. I watched the video about turning the bracket upside down and extending it (the bracket is totally different on later cars) and realised that was not going to work. I went to the scrappy and found one of the old style, hollow, alloy brackets but still could not work out how to make it fit - the 4-1 branch manifold and the steering column really do make it difficult to fit.

I solved it in quite a simple manner. Leave the bracket in its original position, feed the alternator in from under the car and let the it hang downwards instead of pointing up. You have to frig up a way of maintaining the tension on the fan belt though. I used the jack to lift the alternator and get some decent tension and rigged up a couple of bars over the top of the alternator to the original point on the block that the tension bar fits to. You need a slightly longer fanbelt. Works a treat.

Daz

Guest SteveL

Hi Robert

I did the same as Daz, hanging the the alternator down from the normal bracket. I then bought a pair of fanbelts (EFi needs two belts ) made by AFI, part no. 11AV0913 (11mm wide, and 913 mm long). Like Daz, I jacked the alternator up, and fitted a piece of steel between the existing tensioner and the point that it's normally attached to.

One thing to consider is that it creates an interesting route for the lower coolant pipe. It has to dive down underneath the alternator, so it's quite low. I'm going to put a piece of steel across the bottom of my chassis near the front to shield the alternator and coolant pipes from any road debris.

Take a look at the May 18th 2002 diary entry on my build site.

Cheers

Steve

There seems to be lots of varients of the bracket used on pinto'd sierra's. Mine was an EFi ghia model with power steering, and the alternator and the power steering both shared the same bracket.

I pondered this for ages, and even got as far as making up a bracket to fit the alternator up top, but in the end I've put it on the original bracket, swung down a bit, with a 938mm belt on it. I then had to put a couple of washers behind the bracket on the block to get enough tension on the belt. A slightly shorter belt (say 930 minimum) would have avoided this. The stay then goes up the side and onto the bracket higher up where the power steering pump used to be. The top leg of this bracket (for the other power steering bolt) I later ground off.

Mine is now working fine and is staying like this because I'm fed up of wasting time on alternatives. There are two possible problems to consider before copying me though.

1) The alternator now has the stay directly opposite to the pivit bolts. This means that if I move the alternator up or down the belt gets slacker. Only in the 180 degrees position is my belt tight enough, and I increased this tension by putting washers behind the bracket. Being like this also means that it's difficult to remove the belt as the movement of the alternator doesn't allow it to go slack enough to take the belt off. Instead I remove the 4 bolts from the water pump pulley and take off the pulley and the belt at the same time.

2) I've only got about 8 mm between the alternator and the chassis - and I've ground a bit off the alternator to achieve this.

The big advantage to putting the alternator at the bottom is that it doesn't get hot from the exhaust manifold. Possibly it will get road dust instead - but I've not got to that point yet.

Hope that helps

Ant

PS - the two belt thing on EFi engines. I think this is only there if the car is power steered. One belt acts as a backup in case the other breaks. Having the power steering fail can be quite dangerous, so they've fitted a second belt. I have only one belt at the moment, but I still have double pulleys. I could fit a second one if I want to, but whilst setting it all up I only bought 1 belt in case it was the wrong length.

Guest paul mercer

not quite how i did it but easy to explain the principles this way.

i got a slab of 8-10mm steel, drilled the steel and bolted it to engine.

i got a tube made up (same as on the original bracket, so you could remove and use that) and worked out where i wanted my pivot point

welded tube to steel plate ( after removing from engine)

mark out the excess material on the slab and cut it off.

obviously this isn't the exact method but i'm sure you can modify. i had to cut a square hole out of the bracket to clear a protrusion from the block. other than that, all four bolt holes are on the same plane. if you need pictures e-mail me at pmercer@ford.com and pester me!!

you also get away with using the original mounting bracket for the adjuster and belts that came with engine.

happy cutting.

Guest jeremy.robertson

I had the same problem with the wishbone, 4-1 manifold setup, and I used a Bedford Rascal alternator. It is a lot smaller and sits between the manifold and steering shaft. I made a very simple bracket out of angle iron with two square plates welded in. This bolts onto the block and the alternator bolts between the two plates. (Hope this makes sense, don't have pictures)

Have now completed 500 miles and no problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr Pid

I had the same problem with mine, but after a few days of perusing and pondering i tred making a new bracket but ended up using the old one, but finding the correct size fan belt first.

I fitted the belt on the alternator, then fitted the alternator to the car, this works ok if you have very little room for tensioning but it is real bugger to line up. Mine is ok so far charging well but only a couple of mm clearance from the other bits and bobs <_<

Guest Ian & Carole

If it is of any use to you, on my 2b I simply got a 1/4 " lump of steel plate, drilled out three holes as per the original bracket to bolt the lump of steel to the engine block and simply drilled the plate about 4" higher up and bolted on the original braket and fitted the alternator. Just needs a longer belt.

IAN JOHNSON