Shocked

Guest tom2b

I was horrified (in a good way) this morning, yesterday at midday i rang Robinhood to order a ready made stainless steel four branch manifold and silencer, i was told the silencers were in stock but i may have to wait a week or so for the s/s manifold to be made. It arrived before lunch time today! After all the waiting for bits horror stories ive heard it looks like they have finally pulled their finger out!

Only one thing concerns me with the silencer as its sold as "SVA compliant" is that you get given a bit of rubber edging trim to cover the sharp edges :o

Only one thing concerns me with the silencer as its sold as "SVA compliant" is that you get given a bit of rubber edging trim to cover the sharp edges :o

thank goodness for that! nice to see some things dont change :lol:

Guest Battery Bill

Tom

What restrictor? i never got one

You probably did but had no idea what this silly little bit of Stainless was meant to be :lol: :lol:

Its a little bit thats round in the center and has 3 legs pointing outwards, if thats any help :lol: :lol:

Yes, I'm sure but the beauty of the 'star' baffle is that it doubled as a brillo pad retainer!! Otherwise your pads will be fired out!

I got a good tip from Dave Castle here - if you go to Tescos you can buy a pack of 6 'Spondex' stainless steel pot scourers. They are exactly the right size to poke up the pipe to be wedged in by the baffle.

And they work - brought my exhaust down from 104 db to 94 db!

They will restrict the performance of the engine, but they get you through SVA and only cost a quid!!!! :D When you are SVA'd you can remove the baffle, gently drive to your nearest Chav Cruise, line up in front of the most ridiculous car you can find and dump 6000 revs on 'em :lol:

When you are SVA'd you can remove the baffle, gently drive to your nearest Chav Cruise, line up in front of the most ridiculous car you can find and dump 6000 revs on 'em :lol:

Tut, Tut, and from a police officer as well.

You see, they are human after all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Barry.

Guest timswait

The baffle these guys are talking about comes with the twin tube not the 4 into 1. The 4 into 1 system is quieter (still loud though) so shouldn't need extra baffling or Brillo pads. My 4 into 1 has been tested at around 92 dB @3000rpm for track days, although bear in mind SVA readings seem to come out higher for some reason. To be on the safe side state your maximum rpm as 5000 not 6000, so the test is taken at lower rpm.

dump 6000 revs on 'em

Mine sets off car alarms by driving past at 3000rpm if the engine's under load!

Guest Andy Rathbone
line up in front of the most ridiculous car you can find and dump 6000 revs on 'em

a man after my own heart.

but be careful letting out your SVA secrets just yet you still have to do your retest ;)

mine was only 97db at SVA and thats with a 4 into 1 no baffles/scourers nothing.

it is only the baby 1600.

take your maximum rev reading from the haynes manual, i put down the one that says when peak power is acheived around the 4750 rpm mark i beleive :D

here is the WEEKEND, the weather looks good, lets go and upset some MPM's :D :D

although bear in mind SVA readings seem to come out higher for some reason.

seem to remember that they did mine in the workshop outside

the noise comes back off the walls then and can be louder

still passed though :D

Guest chris brown
The baffle these guys are talking about comes with the twin tube not the 4 into 1.
Wrong way round it DOES come with the 4 into one as it is a straight through stainless system so you need the three legged thing to hold the pads in place.

Guest Battery Bill

Anyway to stop having to worry about all this, when you fill in your SVA form put a lower figure where it asks

"What revs gives the maximum power?" (Definately Not the red line) :lol:

Look on our website you can see our forms with the figures we used :D