Zf Differential....

Guest ScotMac

Guest salty_monk

Someone once told me (Pete Cherry I think - sorry Pete if not you) that if you removed the Lobro joints by releasing the circlips what you ended up with is what's shown here or the same as an open diff & you could simply use the push in shafts....

Not sure if it works like that or not, never played with a lobro one but worth looking into... Have you got the joints out on yours yet?

Dan :)

Guest paul thompson

HI guys, Want any Info on ANY ZF product ask me, I work in the sales department of ZFGB, we sell everything! I can't get complete diff units but the Limited slip internals are no problem. I can also get any info you want just ask.

I have drawings of the ltd slip but they don't show too much they are just interface drawings giving overall sizes and mouting holes etc.

Liek I said anything ZF just ask.

Guest ScotMac

Another one (or two) for you, if you don't mind, Paul

ie, the one that started this thread. Shouldn't i be able to hand turn/spin the diff, if there is no pressure for the two sides to turn at different rates??

And if i can't, does it mean that there is something wrong w/ the diff.

Lastly, is there an easy way to figure out what the current percent lock is set to?

Thanks, -sm

Guest paul thompson

Hi Scot,

There were only 2 lock up rates as follows

anbei erhalten Sie für Ford Sierra mit 7" Achse die Einbauzeichnungen

4061 606 301, Sperrwert 40%, mit Vorspannung

4061 606 324, Sperwertd 25%, mit Vorspannung

The 301 part was only ever for motorsport, the 25% one is the common one you will find in most sierras fitted with ltd slip. The cosworth version is the 301, so depending on where yours came from you should be able to tell the difference, they appear however the same. the main difference is in the pressure angle of the crown wheel gearing. The max input torque is 3650 Nm, should be enough for a pinto huh?

Mit Vorspannung means with preload. I'll check if that means that it is difficlut to turn the input shaft. Are you trying to do this with the diff removed or is it installed?

The ZF diff is dry braked with pressure plates. I can't post the drawings on here but I could perhaps email them, I will however be shot at dawn as they are still ZF confidential.

I'll get back to you on the different types of output shaft.

Guest ScotMac

Thanks Paul!!! That helps clarify things a bit.

I just checked, and i have "301", which is good, since i definitely like the higher lock %.

Oh, BTW, this is for a Duratec w/ ITB's, which should put out about 210bhp. Even so, the diff should have no problem handling it. In fact, that max power rating should give some indication how much use this diff will take before need reconditioning/rebuilding.

Thanks again, -sm

Guest salty_monk

Scot,

I've been reading some stuff about LSD's on http://www.wssc.co.uk Westfield "boardroom".

You may find it interesting. Their cars are similar weight to the lieghtweight & there are a lot more out & out sprinters on there so their track knowledge of this type of thing may be better... worth a go anyway... If I was you I wouldn't mention you are building a Robin Hood, it'll only distract them from giving you a decent answer... :)

Guest paul thompson

Hi Scot,

Unfortunately the guy who was the font of all knowledge on Differentials has now left the company, I'm trying to find out if there is anone else who can answer the question. Apparently we only make FWD differentials now, the RWD are only made as service parts and are supposed to stop this year, we do however sell quite a few of them through our aftermarket department so we might still get them for a while yet. When you say Lobro do you mean the bolt up flanges? the other type are just push in with no retention other than the fact the drive shaft is held between the diff and the hub by the fact the hub is retained on the swing arm.

Guest ScotMac

Right, the lobro joints are the torx bolt on style. Thanks for continuing to pursue it.

Dan, thanks...i'll try the westfield site...and i *will* tell them that i am building a rh l/w...just maybe not immediately!!! ;)