Engine No-go

Guest mkeats02

Guest mkeats02

Hello

My engine won't start, it started in the summer when the weather was hot without a problem, have checked to see if all leads and plugs are working, the plugs are getting sparks, the engine seams to be turning ok, but it isn't firing. Fuel is also getting to the engine without any problem.

Could that fact the engine doesn't start be due to being sat around in the cold weather having not been started in a while. It did start a few weeks ago after changing my carb but that was a hot day!

Any help is appreciated.

Mike

Sounds like the choke may not be working on the carb. Are the butterfly valves on top of the carb 'closed'?

Try 'pumping' the throttle a few times and if you get signs of life, that is probably the issue.

Also, if it is the carb that I sent you, make sure that the anti dieselling valve is connected and functioning properly. To check it works, disconnect and reconnect with the ignition on and if you hear a 'click', then its working.

Good luck.

Andy

Guest mkeats02

I have checked the anti-dieseling valve, it does click so it is working alright. Took the filter off, butterfly was closed did however pump the throttle, did not make a lot of difference.

I am going to try and move my fuel vapour seporator, make it lower and see if this makes a difference.

Did consider the choke may not be working properly.

Guest timswait

Carb icing tends to only be a problem when the engine is actually running. If it's cold and damp then the heat used by the petrol evaporating cools the air to below freezing, and the dampness condenses out and forms a block of ice, shouldn't be the issue if it's just refusing to start.

Bear in mind batteries work less well when cold, and that oil is thicker so the engine needs more energy to turn over. Is it cranking strongly?

Guest mkeats02

Will try some easy start or similar. I freshly charged up the battery overnight before trying, it seemed to be turning without too much of a problem.

What is the best way to test my battery? what do i need to look for? Only got the battery in the summer, so is still under warranty, at least if it is knackered i can take it back.

Guest MrSandman

I had the same problem. I took the plugs out, cleaned them and heated them up before putting them back in. Started a treat.

It is worth turning the engine over for a few seconds with no plugs in just to clear any excess fuel in the cylinders.

My problem was lack of knowledge of how to start with Bike carbs. Yours sounds like it may just be a weak spark.

Guest mkeats02

Thanks for the input guys.

Yours sounds like it may just be a weak spark.

How do I improve a weak spark?

Is this down to the battery?

I checked the resistance of the leads and they are well within the limits stated in the Haynes manual. Checked the coil also, readings seemed fine on that as well.

Have you changed the spark plugs recently?

When we first got our engine going it wasn't too happy until we put new plugs in. They were sparking but not very well until changed.