Vauxhall Xe Idler Pulley Warning

Guest salty_monk

Guest chris brown

It’s always worth spending a bit extra and replacing the idlers and tensionor when replacing a cambelt most factors stock belt and pulley kits for cars that have plastic pullies i.e. VW, GM, Ford, and some others

Guest Cantbearsed

He's Right again....

SKF kits are VERY popular with the trade and often contain a modified alloy pulley where originals were plastic. You can even get kits with the water pump, belt, tensioner and roller(s) all in one box.

once again they're based on Gates belt technology, so can't be bad!

hth

Dale.

The problem with the rollers is quite an old one now, nearly all of the 2.0XE engines had large metal rollers only the very late ones with a black top instead of red came with the plastic rollers. The problem really relates to the ecotec engines 1.4,1.6,1.8 and the X20XEV. I would have thought they all had been changed from GF50 now as the plastic part of the roller used to break up then loose the belt timing! Although even when the rollers have been changed in the past, I used to always fit 2 new rollers and a tensioner with a new belt as you could guarantee the rollers would go noisy with a new belt on! and for the extra expense you at least know there should be no problems there for a while.

Mike

Another problem with the idler pulleys, is the retaining bolt (ask Andy Windows!) they have to be tightened up to a considerable torque (more than I expected) and must therefore stretch, this in time weakens them. after Andy's unfortunate problem, we've started fitting Allen type bolts instead.