Edis 4 Wiring And Dissy

Guest Ken Brough

Guest Ken Brough

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the ford electronic ignition controller. Edis4 Motorcfaft pt no 89fb-12k072-AB-9-291-C 014XV. Will this work the pinto fuel injection distributer or do i need to use the 36 tooth wheel and sensor. This is going to form part of a Megasquirt fuel and ignition setup on my Pinto. I will start with the spark side first. thanks

Guest Ken Brough

Thanks stuart for the Edis wiring diagram. Don't know if this is the one as mine has only 10 connections.Not sure on a few of the connections. Looks like the coil has 3 connections. I think i need to go and have another read up as i don't understand most of the connections. any advice would be appreciated.

Guest Stuart Ainslie

My EDIS4 has 12 pins but only 11 are connected.

The coil should have 3 wires - 1 is ground and other 2 are for triggering the individual coils.

I'm pretty sure that you will have to use the Ford VR sensor and a 36-1 wheel.

I've got a bit of knowledge on how it works, I'll help where I can...

Guest Simon cooper

"The coil should have 3 wires - 1 is ground and other 2 are for triggering the individual coils."

The centre wire is 12volt feed, the 2 outers are for triggering the coils. NO GROUND/EARTH involved.

One other point. If you have this system, then it is definately no good for a dizzy setup. Twin coils and a distributor are 100% NOT compatible (Unless you have an RX7 Mazda engine).

Regards

Simon

Guest Ken Brough

Thanks Simon looks like i require a toothed wheel and a vr sensor. I am still running carbs and standard electronic ignition at present. I hope to convert to throttle bodies and Megasquirt. I intend to convert the spark first. I have most of the items,Megasquirt, Throttle bodies and tps, manifold,fuel pump,fuel rail, injectors, lamba sensor and welded boss on exhaust,edis 4, i also have a standard Sierra fuel injection ECU, Injection distributer and a fuel swirl pot. still require a few other bits, fuel pressure regulator, HP fuel hose and connections, fuel filter. Can you think of anything else?

Ken

if you're going to convert your spark you can do away with the dizzy altogether and run with the edis and coil pack, with it timed off the trigger wheel and sensor.

for injection fuel filter get the one to fit an injection vauxhall cav/calibra - about a tenner from halfords and only a third the size of the ford one

Steve