Shocks/dampers

Guest ScotMac

Guest ScotMac

Hi all, i have been reading some of the last 3 years worth of posts on the zeemeride RH shocks, and their pathetic performance. ie, the fact that the shock itself is not strong enough, so the springs take over, and you get a very bouncy ride (did i get it right???).

So, it appears it would be a waste of my time to fit them, and then have to take them off when i discovered they suck!!! ;) Instead, i am looking for good/inexpensive replacements.

Have seen a few on ebay, and may go that route, but need to know what i should look for/get.

I measured the stuff that came w/ my l/w. The front is 13.5" and the rear is 16". So, i assume i should be looking for some that brackets that length pretty well in an open and closed length?? ie, something that has a 14" open to 10" closed length would work well??? Or an 18-17" open to 14" closed for the rear?

Any particular brands? Gaz look ver nice...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScotMac

Also, what about the springs?? Can i use the RH stuff?? I have the greens for the front and the reds for the rear...in fact, there appears to be QUITE a bit of confusion about the different color springs that came on the early 2b's!!! Anyone know the ratings associated w/ the colors....if the colors are actually meaningful.

Also, i hear that if you get a pretty good shock, around 350-400lb springs are good for the front around 200 for back. Can anyone confirm, please.

Thanks, -sm

Guest salty_monk

Your car will be much lighter than all of ours so you may want to bring the spring rate down a bit...

Gaz shocks are good as are Pro tec's for the money you pay.

Dan :)

Guest chris brown
Can i use the RH stuff??
Yes providing you get the correct dia shocks I think all zimerframes were 1.9". As for spring weights what you quote sounds about right but it will be very much a case of suck it and see with the lightweight as there aren’t any on the road yet.

Spring rate is variable depending on which model car you have, ie. mine is a Mark 3, and the ideal front spring rate (with standard unaltered top wishbone) is 130lbs, yet the heavyweight 2B needs elephant props!

as there's no lightweight on the road yet, I'd use the RH supplied springs then go from there.

Guest MrSandman

I used Gaz on my TVR and can recommend then. Try Derek on the website below as he is a top guy and gives a great service.

He regularly posts on the TVR 'S' forum in pistonheads and has been very involved with Gaz on fine tuning their shocks for specific applications.

Spring rates can be calculated by measuring wire diameter from memory, although length may also be required.

Gazman

Guest ScotMac

So far, it seems the consensus is Gaz is a good choice. I assume most people are using the GP line? Also, what about price...ie, how high should i go on ebay for a pair?? 100gbp? 200gbp?

I like the idea of starting w/ the RH springs and going from there....hope they FIT the dampers i end up w/...but in general, the springs are much cheaper than the dampers, right??

Thanks for the replies so far...

Guest vacinc

derek at dampertec is the man, just give him a bell, he"ll sort you out, got two coilovers of him a few weeks ago, i left the spring rate up to him, he does no his stuff, its his job £218inc posted and a spare set of 4 bushes and a spanner

Guest Ken Brough

I got my fronts of him £195. Raldes seem cheaper. Too late now but they sell 4 with springs £247 plus VAT. Coliovers £50 each springs £15 each all plus VAT. By the way are the rears 1.9"