2.0 Efi Help

Guest OllyT83

Guest OllyT83

I have just collected a 2B Plus kit and with it I purchaced a 2l EFI engine from the guys at Robin Hood.

The problem is the engine bay loom has been cut and I don't have the engine management system. Ideally I do want to use the injection system but don't know the best way of getting hold of those components for a reasonable price.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Guest timswait

Ideally you should always buy an engine with these components, since buying them afterwards can cost almost as much as the engine, but it's easy to be smart afterwards, and I know RH aren't too helpful. <_<

I think a friendly scrapheap (if that's not an oxymoron!) is the best place to get these parts, other than that, keep an eye out of EBay, particular for Sierras being broken.

I agree, EFi is the way to go if you can get hold of the parts, great combination of power, wide power band, and sensible economy, and (mostly!) reliabilty.

Olly e-bay is always a good source for parts, got a spare ecu for mine off there not long ago for £5, sorry no its not for sale, just keep checking and you will find what you want.

don't forget to add your location as someone near you may have some parts knocking about.

do you know which parts you need?

Steve

Guest chris brown

If looking in scrap yards for the bits don’t forget that the Granada 2.0l had the same harness ECU etc and there are normally more of them.

Hi Olly, welcome to the world of hoods.

I think that This Chap may still have an ECU (engine control unit) from a 2L Sierra but he hasn't got any of the other bits or the loom, you could click on the email link, he's a nice chap :) .

If it's no good then as said before, start trawling the scrap yards and eventually you'll find one, make sure it's for the correct engine and not the DOHC one (I presume you have a Pinto engine).

How can RH sell an engine with some of the vital parts missing? :(

when i bought my kit i also purchased an engine from RH as i could not find a donor for love nor money. Same problem no loom. spent hours sorting out turned out to be a dud engine. Eventually RH agreed to provide another which was better but this time only a partial loom.

At end of day kept on looking for a donor and found one for less that £200 (cheaper than the dud from RH).

Whilst this proved more expesnive in long run glad i did as not only got a working engine with loom ended up with a lot of other spare parts and will get an age related plate as vehicle on SORN (already had build up inspection and everything ok - sva still to get through) as can prove where engine and other parts came from. In addition now have a spare 2l efi sitting in garage which might work on next winter / sell on.

If you dont have a donor would suggest still worth keeeping an eye open for one on ebay they do come up from time to time. The car can be stripped over a weekend and shell off the drive the following week if the other half does not want the scrap hanging around.

Phil

Guest OllyT83

Thanks for all the help and advice.

I have just rung RH and they have told me that they can give me an ecu but I'm not convinced I'm going to be able to get all the bits that are missing like the TFI module.

I am waiting on them to get back to me with confirmation that I can get all the bits I need.

Hopefully my engine will run when I have all the parts. I was assured by RH that it would although the plugs in it look less than pleasing covered in a thick black sludge.

yes, you have to have all the parts connected to the loom for it to work! There's no way RH can say otherwise so make sure you get a full loom, tfi module and ecu.

Hopefully my engine will run when I have all the parts. I was assured by RH that it would although the plugs in it look less than pleasing covered in a thick black sludge.

That sounds like the valve stem seals have gone to me. Take a look in the ports with the inlet and/or exhaust manifolds off (inlet would be best) are the valve stems clean or is there obvious oil on them?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest OllyT83

RHSC finally came through, with no warning an ecu and tfi unit appeared in the post yeterday.

Now I simply have the joyfull task of splicing and extending all the wires!

As far as everything else goes to make my EFI run, what do I need?

I have a 1.8 CVH doner and know that I will have to get a fuel pump and swirl pot.

Out of intrest, for simplicity in getting my car on the road (although that is a long long way off) would it be possible to get hold of a 2l inlet manifold and then just use the carb from the CVH and all associated parts simply transplanted from the doner?

2L inlet and carb 32/36 DGAV or a 38DGAS will bolt straight on with the right head gasket and work a treat. If you then used an old dizzy your engine loom is down to 5 wires, three to the gauges and an ignition live to the coil and the fuel cut off on the carb.

Nigel