Rusty Headlamp

Guest atigue

Guest atigue

Is it just mine or do RH chrome headlamps rust. Mine have been polished so many times that i have worn through the chrome and they look awful. I decided before the winter that i would buy some new ones in the spring so do i buy from RH @ £40 plus vat for a pair or buy elsewere for £100 plus vat.

personally, i'd buy elsewhere. When i get some spare cash i'll be doing just that. They are much better quality items, thicker plating. the ones at SVC are brass bodied, so no rust to come through.

Guest timswait

It's a classic case of RH being cheap for a good reason! The chrome plating on the RH items is very thin on a mild steel base. If you do get another RH pair they will rust again if you leave them. You could try laquering them, but this makes them go dull, and hasn't worked very well on mine (although they were already rusting when I applied the laquer, so not a very fair test) Also if you keep a thin film of grease over them it should stop them rusting, I'm told baby lotion works well for this!

Guest chris brown

As mine lasted about 18 months I spent £100 with SVC on the assumption that I would spend more than that on RH ones in the next 5 years

Guest salty_monk

Got mine from http://www.premierwiring.co.uk/

Look under products (green blob) & then lights, has domain shielding on it so can't lnk directly.

I have the 5 3/4 Saturnus ones. Seem ok, not brass though (black). Lucky to get chrome on brass for under £150... Plating on their chrome ones may be better though.

Dan :)

Chrome isn't rust proof! what you need to do, at the first sign of the weather becoming damp (ie. around Setember / October) is spray the outer part of the headlights (& anything else that might rust) with a thin film of WD40.

My lights are RHSC 1997 vintage, and are still fine, thank you! (oily but not rusty ;) )

Yes agree with Jim, mine are RHSC and are 1996 vintage. I apply a coating of WD40 regularly in the winter (as did the previous owner) and they still look great. I also wax polish them (non abrasive stuff) which helps in the summer to protect them.

Andy

Guest chris brown
My lights are RHSC 1997 vintage, and are still fine,
By 2001 Richard had found even cheaper ones I spoke to him about them about 18 months ago and he said he had got a job lot from Taiwan and he agreed they weren’t very good but it did help to keep the cost down. This was in one of his chatty moods when he was talking about retiring into an old peoples home and never having to talk to customers again. At which point I left. :p :p

Guest chris brown
Joeys are not rusty
Perhaps is not ever used in the wet. :p :p :p :wub: I still question the use of WD40 for this job as it is a release agent (mostly paraffin) and does dry.

Guest atigue

Thanks for the replys. Ihave been coating them in wd40 /wax polish even engine oil still the rust returns. will buy some brass/chrome ones from svc.