Engine Power Update

Guest Darksphere

Guest Darksphere

Hi

I posted a little while ago about my underpowered 2b and thought I'd update on progress!

As suggested, removed pancake air filter, made no improvement except a very weak mixture and a breakdown where a piece of brick went in the carb!

A mechanic friend of mine suggested that maybe when the gent who built the car replaced the cambelt and got it a tooth out? Just to jog memories, this is a 1.6 pinto... anyone know if this is likely??? Seen it done before???

Also as Big Jim suggested, went on ebay and purchased 2nd hand 32/36 DGAV carb, but before I fit it, there is something important i need to clear up - these carbs are fixed jet, correct? Therefore by whacking any sort of performance filter on it I am leaning out the mixture considerably - so, the big question is: Should I be fitting a different needle, and if so, which one????

Thanks for your advice on this fellas, very gratefully received!

Darky

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Darky,

Check the timing, look in the Haynes manual. I have changed cam belts on lots of engines, it took 6 tries on a VW TDi to get the timing marks ligned up correctly. The good news is the pinto is easier but still easy to get wrong. One tooth out and performance is shot to bits, the TDi would not start!

Restricting the breathing by way of an air filter has much less effect than one tooth on the timing. (Not being silly with the air filter and having a blocked one of course).

Hope that helps

I :wub: my RH.

Guest Darksphere

When I say the performance is not up to much, i mean it - runs rough and revs up to about 3,500 and then stops - won;t pull at all in 5th gear.... It really is poo.

With the lack of performance, would'nt it be worth just ripping it out and putting in a 2.0L? or even another 1.6L. If you want to keep with a 1.6L they should be dirt cheap. Make sure they can be seen running.

It may be a better option than trying to search out what could be more than one problem

Guest chris brown

Go back to basics and check all parts that could be causing it to run so badly.

1/ valve timing an obvious one and easy to check.

2/ ignition timing including advance both vacuum and bob weights (use a strobe)

3/ carbureation not so easy to check but as you now have a second carb substitution is the easiest way.

A common intermittent problem is poor fueling due to crap in the tank (usually silicone) blocking the supply, check your filter, assuming there is one for any signs of rubbish, and you could try blowing back down the fuel line to see if that helps.

Peter

Yes I had the blocked filter issue. Spent so long (weeks) trying to solve my fuel starvation problem, thought the whole damned engine was terminal, then spotted it....99p from the motor factors and we were good as new. How embarassing.

Andy

Guest Darksphere

What about this carb needle issue? If I can't find a blocked filter and the timing's all ok and I put this 32/36 DGAV carb on, it'll still run lean due to the sports air filter, thus costing me performance still. Any solutions? I'm hoping no-one will say "rolling road"... ;-)

Carb needles are found on things like SUs strombergs, the awful ford VVC whatever it was called, bike carbs etc. Yours will have jets and if it is off a 2l it will be running too rich not lean. So dont worry about that, what carb was on it as there are 2 sets of bolt patterns on the manifold, the Dgav needs the bigger one.

Peter.

Guest timswait

Yes, ideally you should re jet the carb to account for the lack of air filter (a performance filter will flow air pretty much the same as if it wasn't there), and yes the best way to do this properly is rolling road. On the other hand it won't make that much difference, the mixture will only be slightly lean when the throttle is fully open. Your problem is much greater than just missing the air filter, so stick this new carb on with it's original jets and see how it runs.

I'd also add point 4 to what chris has listed, do a compression check, if you have poor compression on one or more cylinders then it probably is time to ditch this engine.

Guest Darksphere

Do you mean the bolt pattern on the existing manifold? I have the manifold that the DGAV was coupled with originally.... big Jim said I should fit that too?

Ta

Yes fit that manifold too. If you go onto ebay there is a shop called fastroadcars, the guy's name is Anthony, helpful chap, he will sell you a set of jets for a 32/36DGAV for a 1.6 engine. You will need to know whether it is an emax or not though (the emax engine has the longer, 2 litre stroke, most post late 1984 1.6's from Sierra's are emax engines). As an afterthought, try and match the manifold up to the head inlet ports on the engine. If they are nowhere near, its an emax and it won't work - the head inlet port configuration was different.

A 32/36DGAV properly jetted with a good filter will make a world of difference to a good 1.6 engine. I do agree with the comments above though about checking the rest of the engine out.

Thanks

Andy

A 32/36DGAV properly jetted with a good filter will make a world of difference to a good 1.6 engine.
True but don't faff around worrying about the missing 2-3 HP you might get with or without a filter when you seem to be missing another 35 HP somewhere. There is something fairly major going on with your engine. Good advice further up the page, compression check, basic check of ignition system and the adjustable settings including cam and 'tappets', clean carb and new filter or clean and fit new carb and new filter. Total cost £1 for new inline filter.

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AWhite

Could be a duff fuel pump if you can't rev it above 3500rpm - fuel starvation.

You can also get carburettor cleaner you just spray it into the intake of the carb. Worth a try maybe.

Sounds like you need a fellow hoodie to come round and give it the once over. ;) Any offers near SE?