Rear Suspension Problems

Guest tom2b

Guest tom2b

I previously had trouble with the rear end of my car, the orignal springs where comparable with watch springs and the ride height was set too low so it scraped the tarmac everywhere i went. A friend raised the ride height by lowering the spring caps on the mcpherson struts and fitting sierra xr4x4 Front springs, i since fitted gmax gas adjustable dampers. This gives me perfect ride height and excellent damping, however i have noticed that the springs still dont appear to be man enough and when acclerating hard the back end dips enough to bottom out :gdit: Some friends and i were looking at it today, i managed to get 30 stones worth of us on the spare wheel hoop and took this picture that shows when the springs fully compressed the top coil rubs the driveshaft :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

rubbing2.jpg

i have worked out possible solutions

1 fit tougher springs but off of what?

2 fit a secondary inner spring inside the one already?

3 Make a bump stop inside of the spring?

4 beat it with a big hammer!

can anyone give me some advice as im a bit stumped

regards

tom

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Battery Bill

Tom

You are not the only one look Here and you will see the same problem on our "Part built"

We plan on sorting the problem with a nice set of coilovers at the back end. :D

When I first posted this problem on the site nobody had seen it happen before and I thought we were Unique, Obviously not :lol: :lol:

Guest Battery Bill

No :wub: :wub:

There probably is but something must be wrong in your set up as was in our "Part Builts" because there is a lot of people running around with that type of set up quite happily <_< <_< :D :D

Guest tom2b

perhaps the diff is located slightly too far fowards so that the driveshafts run closer to the springs. Someone offered me a pair of rear zeemerides a couple months ago and i stupidly declined as i bought the gas shocks, i may well be interested in them if i cant find a solution so please pm me if you have them still!

Do you think making my own bumpstop is a viable solution?

Guest Battery Bill

Tom

perhaps the diff is located slightly too far fowards

If this is the case then the 2B Chssis Jig is even worse than earlier suspected, <_< <_< The Diff has a rather Substantial bracket that it bolts to so it should not be that far out :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

Guest allbejay

in theory the whole sierra back axle is used to hold the diff and suspension set up and is then bolted to the chassis so the jig wouldnt matter cause if it was out it wouldnt fit to start with, imo i think the angle that the roll bar tubes come down the chassis itself may differ thus adjusting where the spring sits in accordance with the drive shaft. I could be wrong but no one's perfect.

Regards bejay

Guest Battery Bill

But on our "Part Built" we tried manipulating the top mounting of the spring to change the angle of the spring, but no luck. I think if the RollBar tubes were out of line it would be pretty obvious looking at the car from outside as the rollbar top would be quite a lot out of line. <_< <_< :D

Guest allbejay

how about if the roll bar was level and set square with the body but about 10mm further back in the jig than others, say if you were to measure from the roll bar to a fixed point on the fron of one and the same measurement on another they would be the same, just another thought.

I thought by now bill with your experience in 3 kits (that we know about) you would be of had all the problems and all the answers, so when you going to start bill and joeys car sales emporium for the supply of horseless carraiges to the gentry

Guest tom2b

Looks like im going down the coilover route, looks like i will have a pair of nearly brand new g max gas adjustable shocks for sale soon if anyone is looking for any

I don't know if it'll make any difference to your problem, but our guys up here with that type of suspension, have fitted the rubber inserts into the springs that you get for assisting when towing caravans, the ones that go between the loops of the springs. the suspension then seems to be a lot better.

Guest tom2b

Hmm could be an idea, are they safe as it could be dangerous if one popped out whilst cornering, does anyone know from experience if this is likely to work?